Cassette decks. How good can it get?

I know some guys are going to just want to say a bunch of negative stuff about tape decks and tell me how bad they sound.  There is a lot of music that comes out on tape only (you usually get download too) so I have been acquiring quite a stack of cassettes.  I have a couple of Nakamichi decks BX100 and BX300. The 300 is not working and was thinking of trying to repair.  I am wondering how good of sound you can get out of cassette?  Has anyone taken the leap up to something like the much more expensive Nakamichis or other brands even.  I enjoy the sound. Mainly it's the background noise more than anything but even that is somewhat tolerable.  

128x128ejlif

…so I have been acquiring quite a stack of cassettes…I enjoy the sound.

’Nough said. 

Your BX 300 is no slouch when in top form however since you are going to spend cash on a repair/service I would recommend looking out for a serviced Nak 680zx

which is a notable step up in audio quality.

That said if you really have been bitten by the Nak bug then depending on your budget you might stretch to an CR7A or my favourite ZX9 if you are making your own recordings

Mainly it's the background noise more than anything...

Cassettes fail on the frequency extremes, not good for critical listening but good enough for just rocking some tunes. 

Yes, I am sure they probably fail in the frequency extremes.. but my LX-5 was one of the most influential pieces of equipment I have ever owned. It mastered some of the most important moments of my life… although, I guess, it does,’t hold a candle to my current system.