Used amps, how to tell if,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm interested in buying a used amp and I an only afford  $2,000.00

I'm looking for an amp with at least 100 watts and decent or good or high current. Magnapans 7.1

I've seen some interesting amps circa 1980's 1990's but,

I was wondering how to tell if it's not sounding "right" to me  due to old caps.

1) what would be my recourse?

2) How would or could I tell?

ie if the caps are old how would it affect the sound?

thnax. 

128x128joes44

I want to try the Maggie 7.1s, they must be awesome.....

But seriously, get a 200wpc amp minimum and not too old, a Parasound A21 would be just over 2500 bucks. 

agree that 30-40 year old high power amps will need a recap...currently very happy with Odyssey Cyclops Extreme SE Integrated with Magnepans, believe the amp section is same as the Khartago...

I've read some good things about the Khartago. from what I've read they seem to to have the characteristics in sound that i'm looking for.. thanx

I'm getting ready to list a Parasound A21+ that is 6 months old with less than 100 hours of listening time.  that's one way to find an amp you know is good. 

Much harder for a non-expert to buy and old amp and refurbish it.  Of course you have to pay a lot less if you're going to refurbish.

Jerry 

What about Mark Levinson 33’s or 33H’s. Those were top of the line. For recap service and years of more use are they worth the gamble?