Is system synergy worth having matched components?

What have been differences you have noticed in listening to amps and preamps from different manufacturer's together compared to a combo from the same manufacturer? I love my current setup of an Odyssey Audio Khartago plus amplifier and Aric Audio Unlimited all tube preamp. It sounds great to me. But am I doing myself a disservice by not even hearing the Odyssey Candela or Tempest preamp with the Khartago? 

128x128blue_collar_audio_guy

I figure that a pre and amp from the same manufacturer were developed and tuned using the maker’s other pieces, so, *by design*, they should. Up to the listener to decide. My personal view is to at least try a maker’s pre + amp together - if there is useful combined voicing, I think it would be the pre/amp combo

I’m currently using a Mac tube pre into a McIntosh ss amp, and love the combo. But I also swap amps and run the pre into a Will Vincent el34 pp amp, and love the sound of those two together 

So, experiment and enjoy! Have a great day

If you have a VAC Statement or ARC REF box  plugged into something other  than another one, maybe because you couldn't AFFORD it.

They sure look really great when they match. All McIntosh, all ARC, all BAT, all Schiit... looks great, and almost certainly compatible. And if that relieves the stress of wondering what if? then it’s a good choice.

I was using an SP8 with a VT100 and found it was not a good match! The SP8 has way too much gain. (I know, it can be changed, but I’m making a point here.)

Buy what suits your purpose and if matching components please you, that’s a good enough reason to buy them.

Have fun!