Klipsch Forte IV ... what amp ?

No , I am not asking for a particular amp style and brand here . Although I am not refusing any suggestions either !

What I would like to know first is what characteristics to look for in an amp to drive these speakers (Forte 4’s) to full performance .

Such characteristics as :

1.) What is needed to handle the low impedance of 4 ohms ?

2.) While the sensitivity is listed at 99 dbs. it is considered to be closer to @ 96 dbs,

3.) What about negative feedback ?

4.) Will the 12" woofer and 15 " rear radiator need special attention also ?

5.) Do the horns require special consideration ?

I feel that these considerations will go further to getting it right than , " hey , just get a tube amp and enjoy " .

Thank you & Be Safe .

saki70

I'm using a pair of Quicksilver Mid Monos to drive my Forte IV and they sound fantastic.   40 watts PP ,  they are EL34 based but can use any EL34 / 6l6 variant 

They have a 4 ohm tap but I drive them off the 8 Ohm tap and they don't break a sweat.   I will soon be replacing the Quicksilvers with a 8 watt 300b amp,  the Forte are so to easy to drive 

Oddiofyl ;

That is an amp that I have been considering , except for the biasing thing .

I am not able to do that . I have been wondering about the Horn mono's

which are auto biasing but only 25 amps .

It's always something !

Thanks for the info .

Be Safe

That is an amp that I have been considering , except for the biasing thing . I am not able to do that .

Learning to bias an amp (at least in this case) is VERY easy. You just need a cheap multi meter and a small screw driver. I'm no electrical genius by a long shot but if you can turn on a multimeter you can bias this tube amp. 

@russ69 For me, PL gives me the spit on the microphone but not the sizzle as as the spit hits the mike. Try some Gold Lyon KT88s.

Interesting thought. I am running Penta KT88's with the CH LP66S amp

I have two preamps, a Don Sachs DS2 and a CJ 17LS2. When I run the DS2, I get a horn treble at high volumes that is hard on the hearing; but the ultimate amount of aliveness is there. When I run the CJ 17LS2, I tame that treble edge at high volume but lose the last bit of liveness.

Not sure what I need to do. The Forte's provide some great dynamics, slam, and soundstage at higher volumes; the treble edge is killing me.

Wondering if some Quicksilver monos is the answer or maybe Pass/Fest Watt..

Thanks for listening,

Dsper