Speakers: Anything really new under the sun?

After a 20-year hiatus (kids, braces, college, a couple of new roofs, etc.) I'm slowly getting back into hi-fi.  My question: is there really anything significantly new in speakers design/development/materials? I'm a bit surprised that the majority of what I see continues to be some variation of a 2- or 3-way design -- many using off-the-shelf drivers -- in a box (usually MDF at it core) with a crossover consisting of a handful of very common, relatively inexpensive components. I'm asking in all sincerity so please don't bash me. I'm not trying to provoke or prove anything, I'm just genuinely curious. What, if anything, has really changed? Would love to hear from some speaker companies/builders here. Also, before one of you kindly tells me I shouldn't worry about new technologies or processes and just go listen for myself -- I get it -- I'll always let my ear be my guide. However, after 20 years, I'm hoping there's been some progress I may be missing. Also, I unfortunately live in a hifi-challenged part of the country -- the closest decent hifi dealer is nearly 3 hours away -- so I can't just run out and listen to a bunch of new speakers. Would appreciate your insights. 

jaybird5619

The basic designs may be similar to the way they were 20, 30, 40+ years ago, but materials, manufacturing and engineering have become incrementally better each year. 

Today there are manufacturers that sell direct-to-consumer and will ship gear to you for 30 day trials.  Their entire business model is built around that.  There are also retailers like Audio Advise or Crutchfield that have similar models.

If you're looking to purchase used and you're in a more remote area, you can just purchase gear from here and other similar sites, then sell off what you don't want.

I'm a bit new, myself. Are open baffle speakers with active woofers as with the Spatial X3 an old design? They seem new to me...

It all depends on the price bracket you're looking in.  There have been quite a number of innovations in materials used in drivers and cabinets, and in driver and cabinet construction.  But these only "trickle down" slowly.  

And then there's bending wave technology.