Eric Clapton reveals this week of his declining health

The King of Electric Guitar this week, Eric Clapton, announced to the news media that he is just about completely deaf from severe tinnitus and is suffering nerve damage to his hands that will in just a matter of time compromise his ability to play. When Clapton goes it will be the end of the Rock era as we know it.

Years ago, B.B.King was asked at a press conference who he thought was the greatest rock guitarist of all time, he replied,
"My personal opinion?..."Eric Clapton is the greatest rock and roll guitar player of all time." 1986

audiozen

Clapton, The Autobiography is a must read for any fan, an awesome book. I have had the privilege to have seen him 5 times starting in the 70's, the man is an incredible artist and showman. 

People that knock Clapton for his studio albums are missing the point. His live playing is what made his reputation. Yeah there are lots of players who can play rings around him technically, but fill a stadium full of people bring out a bunch of big name guitar players and Clapton will get the watermelon (Woodstock reference = The hottest guitar player gets a watermelon). And he’s respected by his peers. Who else could get the line-up for his Crossroads Festivals to show up?

For Layla fans, get the Tedeschi Trucks Band - Layla, Live at Lock’n. IMHO, better than the original, It definitely sounds better.

I was a friend of Duane Allman’s daughter. Very nice person. For some time she had been trying to get Mr. Clapton to recognize Duane Allman’s contribution to Layla and honor his family by sharing royalties. He never returned her calls.

So I turn the radio to another channel when I hear Clapton. I can’t help myself. For some reason that stuff really bothers me.

But hey, no one’s perfect, right?

In the 60s I totally get what the fuss about Clapton was. From then on, not at all. I’ve little respect for the “…but live…” argument either. His Albert Hall and other residencies were the very definition of middle aged complacency. A night down the pub with your mates; playing from memory and knowing that some people are daft enough to pay regardless just to tick the box; see the legend and hear the songs. I don’t have any problem with that mindset, I’ve done it myself, but the artist? Oh dear. Saw him with my uncle and his wife at the MEN arena in Manchester. My uncle had been watching him live since the late 60s. He came out shaking his head with utter dismay. Tasteful and complacent are pejorative terms in this context. 

I feel for the guy and enjoy his music but wish he had kept his health-related politics to himself.