Class-A Amplification and 15 Amp Outlet

Pardon my electrical theory ignorance, but I have always been intrigued by the beauty of Class - A sound, as such, I am actively exploring a purchase. My question is based upon the power draw (even at idle) and the ability of a 15 Amp wall outlet to provide such without tripping. I have looked at the "big boys" from Pass XA160’s, Gryphons Essence Stereo & Antileon EVO to name a few. I do not have the option of installing a dedicated circuit in my unit. So, would I be ok if the electronics (including a DAC/preamp) were on the same circuit?

Thanks!!

128x128jeffreyw

@noske  if you think all an amplifier needs is the power to drive the average wattage on the spec sheet, then you can power most amps with a lamp cord.  Unfortunately a little knowledge is sometimes a dangerous thing and figuring out that V=IR does not make you an electrical engineer.  --Jerry

@carlsbad if you think all an amplifier needs is the power to drive the average wattage on the spec sheet, then you can power most amps with a lamp cord.

I am totally not sure about this advice as lamp cords supply lights which these days are just a few watts, with much variability.  Probably 18 AWG or thereabouts?

Amp spec sheets that I have seen specify maximum watts and it is this peak that is informative for conservative decision making (should there be a choice), not average watts - class A/B, for example, vary with volume. So no, I don’t think that all an amp needs is the average wattage.

Many amps require much more than a lamp light (my class A amp is about 350 watts, and some are much more), so it’d be prudent to consider a heavier gauge, such as the generic ones which also have regulatory approved connections.

Without checking, in my country I think they are generally rated for about 2,400 watts - one size fits all, kinda thing. Plenty. Easy.

No need for consideration to be given to a choice between 8 or 10 or 12 AWG etc etc. Blah. Seen this, true.

I've owned Class-A amps most of my life, kinda my jam.  I currently use a pair of Pass XA160.5, which I've had for quite awhile.  Probably have owned at least a dozen different Class-A amps, along with others.

Never a problem with any of the Class-A amps and I have only ever had a 15 amp circuit.

The only amp I can remember tripping a breaker was my Belles 350 Reference, (pre soft-start circuit).  That damn thing would trip the breaker every time.  Had to leave the power switch on, then reset the breaker to turn it on.

@noske Just to be clear, I am not suggesting using a lamp cord to power your amp.  I use 10ga power cords.  I have a dedicated 10ga power circuit to my audio system.  My point is that the average power consumption by your amp, mine pulls 400 watts to produce 35 wpc, is irrelevant when sizing the power supply to your amp.  --Jerry

I have Pass Labs Xa100.8 mono blocks. Installed 3 dedicated power lines. One for each mono block and the third for my digital gear. Made a big difference. Amps sound better.