Are there speakers that disappear regardless of the recording?

I have a pair of B&W 805d3’s. Strictly analog system. Source is the Clearaudio Ovation, Hana SL cart. Herron VTPH-2A phono stage. Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp. The speakers sound great most of the time. I have many records that cause the speakers to essentially disappear with a holographic sound stage, beautiful imaging and great dynamics. Some other records, not so much. Curious if there’s a way to achieve disappearing speakers no matter what recording you throw at them? Thanks!

paulgardner

@berner99 
Sometimes the speakers disappear completely when I close my eyes. Depends on the recording and it also varies from track to track sometimes. Imaging and soundstage width and depth changes too. Seems to be very recording depended .

I find that opening one’s eyes… or looking at the system tends to anchor the sound, which might otherwise be difficult to localize. 

What I am talking about is that not only do the speakers disappear sitting in the sweet spot (for any music), but if I move a few feet in any direction , I still don’t hear the sound as originating from 2 boxes, just a wall (area?) of sound. Again just talking about disapearing (not localizing instruments)..

And if may be that those who have only heard typical box speakers have not experienced this (perhaps they wouldn’t like it). There is a reason omnis are popular (note though that Jay didn’t like the MBLs at recent show), The mirage bipoles (in phase front and rear drivers) were popular and I was surprised to find this in the LSA. box speakers(I assume because they are wide dispersion).

Not sure if Maggies, and open baffles have this quality or not.

There is a reason speakers other than low dispersion boxes are and will remain popular--changing sound radiating pattern (for better or worse-=your taste) is one thing unlike frequency response that only speakers (well and room treatments) can change.  

And room treatments may ruin this--dunno.

Two that come to mind are the above-mentioned Linkwitz LXmini's (where the sweet spot exists pretty much everywhere in the room) and the venerable Spica TC 50's and 60's.  I heard a pair of ML Montis with a Lyndorf receiver and in the narrow  sweet spot, the speakers really did disappear.  I imagine the Cube Audio speakers would do the same thing.

Two that come to mind are the above-mentioned Linkwitz LXmini's (where the sweet spot exists pretty much everywhere in the room) and the venerable Spica TC 50's and 60's.  I heard a pair of ML Montis with a Lyndorf receiver and in the narrow  sweet spot, the speakers really did disappear.  I imagine the Cube Audio speakers would do the same thing.