TEAC UD-701 vs NT-505 vs ?

I stream Quboz and Tidal via a Bluesound Vault 2. Vault transmits to Parasound JC2 to modded A21 to Vandersteen Quatro CTs. (See my profile for complete description of system.) Happy, really very happy, with Vault 2 but it is likely best point at which to upgrade my system.

Considering TEAC NT-505 ($2K) and new TEAC DAC/streamer UD-701 ($4K), which has some very attractive features: in-house-built discrete Delta-Sigma DAC with FPGA circuity, dual-mono signal path, four separate power supplies... Have seen enthusiastic reviews for NT-505 from owners here. Only one review by Moon Audio out about UD-701, and they are not an uninterested party. Curious if any out there have heard UD-701?

Open to other suggestions, including used with roughly $6K price ceiling. See TMR has used Aurender A-10s for sale. Used PS Audio Direct Wave DAC with bridge is another consideration, although I have seen owners comment negatively about the bridge.

Not wed to DAC/streamer combo but that has appeal to me because it eliminates a box, connecter, and power cord, all of which add to cost and connector makes signal path less direct.

Also not wed to SS but a tube DAC appears to me to introduce an additional source of distortion into my otherwise SS system, so it will then be affected by both SS and tube distortion.

Thoughts?

Bosssound

128x128bosssound

@bosssound ,

Looks like there are more reviews coming up on the Teac UD-701N.

The first one is the latest from Europe while the second one is from Japan. Both had to be translated. The DAC looks impressive with great build quality.

https://hifi-nl.translate.goog/artikel/30939/Review-TEAC-UD-701N-en-AP-701-Stoer,-luxe,-gemak-en-kwaliteit.html?_x_tr_sl=nl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

https://www-phileweb-com.translate.goog/review/article/202103/24/4275_2.html?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

The Teac also seems to be solid built and uses Esoteric's own delta sigma tech instead of off-the-shelf chips. This was one thing I liked about the Marantz SA-10. The SA-10's sound quality, per some posters who own them, are nothing short of phenomenal, at a price that is much less than the competition. I am hoping the same for the Teac. Might have to find a way to audition this DAC, sometimes this summer

One more thing to keep in mind - you will need to "separate the Wheat from the chaff" on these forum posts. You know what I mean.

@milpai 

One more thing to keep in mind - you will need to "separate the Wheat from the chaff" on these forum posts. You know what I mean.

But I guess that would involve one on one auditions instead of wild presumptuous conclusions. 

Nice Diana Krall collection...lol, btw where's your Kenny G?

Hi Bossound,

Hopefully I can eradicate the lack of capitals this time! I do not store music on hard drives etc. but as a streamer, the TEAC does a great job via the HR app. Tidal connect works although I prefer to construct my playlists in the app. MQA unfolds accurately as has dual clocks for 44.1 & 48 multiples. A few tracks on tidal unfold to 352.8 ( Norwegian label 2 L) as do MQA CDs. Agree with you, Tidal can be excellent, although I find Qobuz more consistent sq wise. As mentioned, FLAC and Regular CDs sound great to my ears after up scale and 1 bit conversion. I listen to internet radio via a node as BluOS only way of receiving Radio Paradise MQA which has superb SQ, imho. I also feed it optical from a smart tv for those music videos. I was a little sceptical as to any benefit vs the NT 505/ AKM but worth the investment. Not heard the ESS9038 version of the 505 - it lacks the MQA in via digital inputs, but sure it would be a quality choice for streaming. Horses for courses. I do find both need some hours to give their best and hope you can find a demo.still only one dealer advertising here in the uk. I bought direct from TEAC. 

But I guess that would involve one on one auditions instead of wild presumptuous conclusions.

Please go back and read about my statement on trying to audition this summer. And other words I used were "seems", "hoping", etc. So not jumping to conclusion like :

system and I'm sure the UD-701 will be very good but Aurender are in a different league.

If you are considering a separate DAC you can't do better than the Musetec 005, read the thread on here.

Also good to know that you enjoyed looking at my system and carefully noted my choice of music. Thanks for the kind words. D comes before K. So that screen shot in my system page shows only partial list of the music. I listen to all sorts of music - I do not differentiate - "music expresses the joy of the soul". That was what I had on the wall of my previous listening system. Would love to see your system, if you got some time to post.

And if you find more reviews/user posts on the Teac, please do post it here.

@nomorelandings Thanks for notes on TEAC HR streaming app.

@milpai Appreciate pointers to Dutch and Japanese reviews.

@lordmelton Hope to check out Aurender kit. My dealer used to carry their equipment. Not sure if he still does.

I located open box units of both NT-505 and UD701-N. Former thanks to Dylan, who was pleasure to deal with, at HiDEF Lifestyle in Red Bank, NJ. Expect to receive both units this weekend.

Plan DAC shootout at HiFi Buys in ATL next week. Will be able to compare TEAC units to HiFi ROSE streamer/DAC, Marantz CD Transport/DAC, Chord Hugo and possibly others,with dCS Bartok as a benchmark. 

Hope to be able to add to observations of nomorelandings then.

Peace.