TEAC UD-701 vs NT-505 vs ?

I stream Quboz and Tidal via a Bluesound Vault 2. Vault transmits to Parasound JC2 to modded A21 to Vandersteen Quatro CTs. (See my profile for complete description of system.) Happy, really very happy, with Vault 2 but it is likely best point at which to upgrade my system.

Considering TEAC NT-505 ($2K) and new TEAC DAC/streamer UD-701 ($4K), which has some very attractive features: in-house-built discrete Delta-Sigma DAC with FPGA circuity, dual-mono signal path, four separate power supplies... Have seen enthusiastic reviews for NT-505 from owners here. Only one review by Moon Audio out about UD-701, and they are not an uninterested party. Curious if any out there have heard UD-701?

Open to other suggestions, including used with roughly $6K price ceiling. See TMR has used Aurender A-10s for sale. Used PS Audio Direct Wave DAC with bridge is another consideration, although I have seen owners comment negatively about the bridge.

Not wed to DAC/streamer combo but that has appeal to me because it eliminates a box, connecter, and power cord, all of which add to cost and connector makes signal path less direct.

Also not wed to SS but a tube DAC appears to me to introduce an additional source of distortion into my otherwise SS system, so it will then be affected by both SS and tube distortion.

Thoughts?

Bosssound

128x128bosssound

Showing 4 responses by lordmelton

@bosssound Nice to see you've got a nice audition ahead.

A big positive with the TEACs is that they have 10Mhz, 50 Ohm clock inputs, if you can listen to them with the clocks connected that will make a big difference.

Unfortunately Aurender doesn't give clock inputs until you get up to the N20, $12k.

The TEACs DO NOT however give digital outputs which means you can't connect an outboard DAC. All Aurenders allow this.

Take your time and listen. Best of luck.

@bosssound Hi, First let me say that the UD-701 is a beautiful looking unit and I was considering upgrading my UD-503 headphone amp to it but then the AKM chip plant burnt down and TEAC had to re-think their plans. They were going to use the AKM chips and I think a few early models had them, but now are using 2 Delta Sigma chips developed by TEAC, clear as mud.

I would certainly go with an Aurender either with or without DAC. They are fabulous machines. I have thoroughly enjoyed my UD-503 headphone amp and used it in a full system and I'm sure the UD-701 will be very good but Aurender are in a different league.

If you are considering a separate DAC you can't do better than the Musetec 005, read the thread on here.

Let me say that I have a TEAC UD-503 headphone/pre-amp, DAC which is capable of being used in a full blown system and it's very good soundwise and very well built and I would recommend it and it's later models to anyone looking for a reasonably priced good quality one box solution.

Enter Aurender the UD-701 competes directly with the A10 and A100 servers/streamers.

What I suggest and will always suggest, go and audition these servers because they really are great performers and will hold their price better in the used market than TEAC.

Enter the Musetec 005. I know there's been a lot of talk on this forum about the 005 but that's because it's a watershed product. The product that made Chinese HIFI come of age. Most of the parts it uses if not all major items are imported. Mundorf capacitors from Germany, Amanero USB board from Italy, chips and oscillators from the US and I believe the transformer is from the UK. Point to point wiring.

You owe it to yourself to hear this DAC.

There is a US distributor and Aurender plays MQA but not ROON.

@milpai 

One more thing to keep in mind - you will need to "separate the Wheat from the chaff" on these forum posts. You know what I mean.

But I guess that would involve one on one auditions instead of wild presumptuous conclusions. 

Nice Diana Krall collection...lol, btw where's your Kenny G?