Great Experience with Feickert Protractor

After years of using other setup tools, I finally broke down and bought the Dr. Feickert Protractor.  I couldn't be happier. 

I highly recommend this unit for great design, construction, ease of use, and precision of setup.  I'm at the point in this hobby where I buy stuff and am not afraid to find that something makes no difference or the difference it makes is not to my liking.  The Feickert did not change the overall sonic character of my table/cart.  What it clearly did do was make imaging and soundstage more apparent (stand out) and it sounds like more information is coming through because I can hear more decay and faint sounds than before. 

If anyone is within driving distance of Chicagoland, I'd be happy to lend it out so others could benefit.  

Before the Feickert I was using Mobile Fidelity's Geo Disc and I had to sight the pivot point with an alignment bar on the Geo Disc.  I got pretty close (assuming the Feickert is more accurate), as I was within 2mm.  I'll rest assured knowing that I'm running things closer to perfect for sound quality and wear. 
128x128jbhiller
Dr. Feickert from UK without VAT was cheaper for me, used sample is even cheaper. 

Not sure what do you expect from a protractor, but no not overestimate the importance of it. You cartridge can be aligned perfectly even with FREE protractor that comes with Hi-Fi NEWS TEST LP. 

I can't use mirror protractors, for my eyes it's better to see white lines on black surface and alight according to those lines than white lines on mirror, on the mirror you will see the line and reflection of this line, I hate those protractors with mirror, they are useless.  

Hey JB!

Do you still use the Dr. Feickert? I've been using the Geo Disc and found it a bit lacking as well. (Getting that pivot point lined up is tricky business!)  I started looking into Dr. Feickert and came across your post here.

If you still have it, I'd love to take you up on the offer to borrow it! I'm in Highland Park.

Best Regards,

Jeremiah

@jwallis1 , Yes, I still use the Feickert. Like you I have used the Geodisc. It’s great, IF you can get the pivot lined up. I used a piece of string taped to the ridge line and I’d pull it out to ensure I was in alignment. Not scientific but it got me closer. The Geodisc is hard to use.

PM me and we can meet up.

I made a great friend on here back in 2017 by lending out the protractor. Kind of cool.

I’m also a former Geodisc user and a current Feickert user. The Geodisc sort of worked, Sighting the pivot point along the ridge was always problematic, and with some arms extremely difficult. I used it in conjunction with a DB Systems protractor for the final adjustments. I’ve also used other methods in the past.

The Feickert is simply easier, faster and more accurate than anything else I’ve used before. So far I’ve used it on VPI 10 and 12" arms, a Magnepan Unitrac (which was super difficult to use with the geodisc), and a Rega RB300 on a Denon table.