Subs and room nodes

Hi everyone. I have heard so much about how multiple subs cancel out room nodes and I am a believer. I would like to learn more about how this happens. Let’s say your sub crossover is set at 80hz but the room node is at a higher frequency. If the sub doesn’t come in until 80 hz and lower how is it able to cancel the node? This is in regards to my new 2 channel dedicated room that I will be adding to my systems page soon. Thanks. 

Ron

ronboco

Subs in a system is unfortunately not a fashion statement. Going sans sub might look chic but might sound anemic. It’s about frequency response at the listening position and your room will have a lot to say about that. Your dealer will most likely take some measurements and will give you his verdict. But you probably already know the answer. Two subs might be all you need. Good luck in your journey. It’s going to be fun. 

Thank you everyone for the responses. I’ve learned so much here in the time I’ve been on agon. It’s a really great forum. 

Happy listening! 

Ron 

Those are some serious speakers.  When your dealer gets there, you may find that all is needed is some small physical adjustments of the speakers within the room and possibly a small adjustment to your listening position to better take advantage of the existing room modes where the speakers are being reinforced by the room, rather than the room detracting from their bass performance. 

When I was at a class at Sumiko years ago, one of the gentlemen there made a comment that has stuck with my since.  "The room is the drum and the speakers are the mallet." 

Let us know how it goes.

@paradisecom 

Thank you. I have been enjoying the Aviors tremendously. The Boulder 866 paired with them seems to be an amazing combination. One thing I didn’t realize was how much the sound would change as the speakers have broken in. I actually thought the room was a dud but it was the speakers not being broken in. I think you are right that just some small adjustments will be needed.