Maggie 1.7i's lack detail. Ideas?

Hi,
In about 1979 I had a roommate who had a pair of Magnapan's, an amp, pre-amp (at least one of which was NAD, and a fairly high quality turntable.  I was shocked and amazed about the feeling the singers were present in the room with me.   The accuracy and detail of the sound.

Fast forward 40 years and I purchase a barely used 1.7is.   I have a new Marantz NR1200.  A 15 yo BK EX-440 Sonata (350WPC @ 4 ohms), and optical bit stream out Sony DVD player.  I use optical cable between the DVD player and NR1200.   I have fairly high quality cables between the pre-out of the NR1200 and the EX-440.  I have somewhat high gauge copper stranded cable, about 6', between the EX-440 and the speakers.

The sound is not bad but very much lacking the detail and immediacy I remember in the highs and mid-range.  A great disappointment. My question is what the most likely culprit?

Some possibilities:
1. My hearing has declined.
2. I've a romanticized memory of the sound quality.
3. What I was hearing was the mushrooms.
4. The speakers my roommate had were a bit wider.  Maybe more like the 3.7s.  Maybe 40 year old 3.7s are just that much better than current 1.7is.
5. Stranded wire cables.
6. Turntable that much better than CD.
7. ????

jros

It is the Marantz who is weak in your system i can tell you this for a hunderd procent.

Buy a secondhand musical fidelity A5 or a 308 and you shall see whats happend.

Hey there,

Happy to respond to this inquiry as I've had similar issues with getting my Maggie 1.7is to "sing". I purchased my Maggie's from a dealer in March of 2020 and was initially powering with a multi channel Emotiva amp. I quickly found out that this was a non starter. I then went to the quest of trying out many different amps before settling (almost gave up and sold them!). I tried a modified Hafler 500, an Emotiva XPA DR2, tried some high powered tube integrated that a dealer let me borrow, nothing was doing it for me. Through many days researching, talks with magnepan, forum query, on and on, I found that Maggie's just require the biggest most balls to the wall amps to make them sing. You need lots of current and voltage to give them plenty of headroom, they need higher damping factor too. A solid class D amp can and will do it, but I would look towards high powered class AB amps. I settled on a Rotel RB 1090. The amp weighs nearly 100lbs, that will tell you what you need to know here. This amplifier has huge toroid power supplies and lots of capacitors, nice binding posts, 350 watts per side. It was like turning on a light switch, they sung so well. I believe this is what you're going for man. So to be fair this amp on the used market will run you well into the 1-$2,000 market. Magnapan themselves will recommend quietly that you use bryston amps which would be a fantastic selection but these are incredibly expensive solid state amps. I have seen success with using really well constructed class d amplifiers and it might be best you go that route. I do hope that this helps you in your quest. Separately I would say that at no risk you could get a pair of mono amps from Schiit (very reasonable for what you're buying) and test those in your stereo setup for a month without any problem. You can send them back if they do not work. Those might actually be really nice, lots of class a headroom here. You may also take others recommendations here and look at your digital source plus pre amp. Schiit sells all that stuff and it's all very nice plus prices are fantastic. Good luck and cheers

Not one receiver function on a hifi set!!! How can you use a 800€

Marantz as a pre amp???

OP, your main issue is your source, as you have found out, then next is your preamp. Work those issues and you will get pretty close. I'd also pull your speakers 5 feet out from your front wall, so those are the first steps.