Advice needed on MC cartridges

I’ve an Ortofon Black 2M cartridge on my VPI Classic 2 turntable, It’s a moving magnet type cartridge with a Shibata stylus and cost about $700 when purchased. I could easily be wrong, but am under the impression that the Ortofon 2M Black is about as good as it gets with MM cartridges and if I wished to upgrade I’d need to be thinking about moving into a MC, moving coil, type.

So I’ve been trying to learn something about moving coil cartridges and what differences or improvements in sound quality might be obtained by using one. My integrated amp, a Luxman 507uX Mk2, has a built in phono stage and can play either type,

Generally speaking, how much more would need to be spent on a MC cartridge before a noticeable, or significant improvement, might be heard in sound quality over the Ortofon 2M’s performance? What improvements in performance might you obtain using one a better quality MC over the Ortofon 2M Black? And third, what MC cartridges might you recommend that would fit in performance and budget wise with a system composed of the above equipment plus Magico A3 speakers. My other equipment is a Marantz Ruby CD/SACD player and a Shunyata Denali Hydra power conditioner.

I’ve never heard a MC cartridge in use so would be interested in following your advice and recommendations to see if I can find a dealer or someone that might be able to demo one so I can hear what the differences might be in performance. Thank you for any responses or suggestions

Mike

skyscraper

Other question: how much of your daily/week time are you using to listen LP and how much time the digital alternative?

R.

426hemicuda. that sounds very interesting what you accomplished with your Denon 103 plus cost effective. If you were living close by I’d like to see how you did that. I admire anyone with the skill level and. know how to accomplish something like that.

Dover- thank you for your explanations and offering alternative cartridges to consider. This is a difficult subject to understand for an end user not conversant with electronics. So I appreciate you taking the time to try and explain some things. I’ll research all the alternative cartridges you recommend.

Raul, I don’t know much about the nuts and bolts of electronics, but should be able to figure out with some help an appropriate higher end cartridge compatible with the rest of my system. At the least, t am trying to learn so I don’t make too bad a mistake, so bear with me.

I’ve somewhere between 1300 to 1500 vinyl albums. I haven’t counted them in years. It varies, but I usually divide my listening time about equally between vinyl and CD’s. I’ve considerably fewer CD’s but their all newer to my collection and easier to use, so they get more use per capita. I’ll generally play two or three albums or CD;s per day on average.

2channel- thanks for your input and sharing your journey through the cartridges you’ve owned. At this point maybe I should just be soliciting recommendations on cartridges that fit my price point ($3500 range) that would be compatible with my Luxman integrated amps specs and my VPI Classic 2 turntable. I’m a bit disappointed both the Paua and Van den Hul LO won’t work. Thanks for the link too. I’ll check it out.

Mike

I copied the specs from the Luxman manual below for anyone who might be following along and interested and trying to learn about this subject and the specs under discussion.

Luxman 507uX MkII Specifications

Rated output

110W + 110W (8Ω),
210W + 210W (4Ω)

Input sensitivity/input impedance

PHONO (MM): 2.5mV/47kΩ
PHONO (MC): 0.3mV/100Ω
LINE: 180mV/47kΩ
BAL.LINE: 180mV/55kΩ
MAIN-IN: 1.05V/47kΩ

Output voltage

REC OUT: 180mV, PRE-OUT: 1V

Frequency response

PHONO: 20Hz to 20kHz (±0.5dB)
LINE: 20Hz to 100kHz (within -3dB)

Total harmonic distortion

0.007% or less (8Ω, 1kHz)
0.08% or less (8Ω, 20Hz to 20kHz)

S/N ratio (IHF-A)

PHONO (MM): 91dB or more
PHONO (MC): 75dB or more
LINE: 105dB or more

Volume adjustment

New LECUA1000

Amplification circuit

ODNF 4.0

Output configuration

Bipolar 3-parallel push-pull

Damping factor       

Max. amount of tone control   

BASS: ±8dB at 100Hz
            TREBLE: ±8dB at 10kHz

Power supply 

230V~(50Hz) / 115V~(60Hz)

Power consumption 

350W
            86W (under no signal), 0.4W (standby)

Why don't you search out MC carts with a 100 ohm load? Don't  know how many carts are rated that low, but might be worth researching. Im not shilling for Hana ML,  but it is a cart that works nicely with a 100 ohm load. I'm  sure there are other fine carts out there at 100 ohm loading, I just haven't searched for them.

And to Raul. You don't have to tell me my analog knowledge is limited. I already know that...lol

Lyra Delos = 91 Ohms theoretical optimum loading, I run it into a 100 ohm load ( variable loading plugs ) on my Herron phono stage….

$2k ….. if you can find one….

Mr._m, I will do just that and have already started.

Tomic601, The Lyra Kleos has the same 91 ohm optimal loading. If your Delos can run at 100 ohms loading perhaps I’ve identified one potential candidate for purchase in the Kleos. Music Direct carries both.. The Kleos fits my budget at Music Directs price of $3695. Thanks.

Anyone know of a reason or spec that might lead you to believe the Kleos might not work witn my Luxman 507uX integrated amp or VPI Classic 2 turntable?. Below are the specs for the Lyra Kleos listed on the Music Direct site.

Lyra Kleos Specifications

Type: Moving Coil, coil and flux field centered design
Output voltage: 0.5mV
Frequency response: 10Hz - 50kHz
Channel separation: >35dB
Diamond stylus: 3x75µm Lyra designed Ogura long footprint Line Contact
Overhang Alignment: 0.12mm Locator Hole Precisely Aligned over Stylus Tip
Magnet(s): Dual disk neodymium
Coil Former: 5N iron core & 6N copper coils
Cantilever: 0.3mm Diameter Ogura Solid Boron Rod
Tracking force: 1.7 - 1.8 grams (1.75 Optimum)
Dynamic compliance: 12 x 10-6 cm/dyn
Internal impedance: 5.4 ohms
Inductance: 9.0 uH
Recommended Impedance: 91 - 47kOhms
Weight: 8.8g