Decisive moments your your audio journey

Have you had any truly decisive moments in your time in this hobby? 

I would have to point back to the first time I ever heard Magnepans, it was a “whoa what was that moment?” moment. That was in the 1980’s. It was the first time I ever truly heard reproduced music that got the midrange right, without it being squished 

128x128zavato

Easy.  Dad's living room system 1952.  Large JBL corner horn ... two 15" woofers and horn mids and highs.  Driven by 25wpc tube Newcomb Amp w/Preamp.  Rek-O-Cut studio TT with Fairchild arm and cartridge.  First ever audiophile discs (Cook's "Sounds of Our Times") and Audiophile's Jazz disks.  "Live" harp; "Live" percussion, "Live" jazz right in our living room.  Built my beginning system in 1956 and have been hooked ever since.

It was about 1960 and my grandfather came over the house and gave me a transistor radio. I was in elementary school. Every night from that moment onward I went to bed listening to music on that little radio. That is when my love of music and this hobby began. Later in life it was when I realized how important the preamplifier was. Prior to that I thought it was the speakers and source. Now I realize yes they are important but once you can afford a really good pramplifer things can really wake up.

The other day when my Mesa Tigris amp filled my house with smoke was pretty decisive for me….  Need a new amp lol…

When I was a very young (many many moons ago) I listened to a GE Trimline portable record player with my head positioned between the removable speakers (like headphones).  It was then I decided to one day get a high end audio system.

6 years ago, when I started shopping for my bucket list audio system, a pair of GoldenEar speakers introduced me to “3D soundstage” which I didn’t know existed.