Is Old Music Killing New Music?

I ran across this Atlantic magazine article on another music forum. It asks the question if old music is killing new music. I didn't realize that older music represents 70% of the music market according to this article. I know I use Qobuz and Tidal to find new music and new artists for my collection, but I don't know how common that actually is for most people. I think that a lot of people that listen to services like Spotify and Apple Music probably don't keep track of what the algorithms are queuing up in their playlists. Perhaps it's all becoming elevator music. 

Is Old Music Killing New Music? - The Atlantic

128x128femoore12

@clearthinker and @infection 

The author of the article doesn’t give a starting point for when they think "new music" starts. To me anything from the year 2005 and forward would be classified as "new music". I think that is around the time streaming started taking off and downloads had already surpassed physical sales.

Streaming killed the video star.

When the younger music shows some talent it is found. Christone "Kingfish" Ingram and Quinn Sullivan come to mind instantly. For me new music begins in the 1980's, that should give a perspective on how selective I am.

I would ask what that 70% number represents. If it represents sales then I believe it. The young generation listening through their phone or $10 bluetooth speaker’s do not purchase music. They are content listening to what ever the server spins next. This is the issue when you start to reference a percentage, you can make it mean anything you want by omission of how you got there. Weather forecasters will will tell us their is a 40% chance of rain. Why not tell us their is a 60% chance it won’t rain? Because we would not check back again and again to see if it will rain snd they have commercials to show us.

@yyzsantabarbara ,

Thanks!  I’m still not into streaming yet, but I still enjoy hearing new and new to me music.

All the best.

JD