What Is So Special About Harbeth?

SLike probably all of you, I just received notice from Audiogon of a 20% discount on Harbeth XD. I clicked on the tab and found that the sale price is about $2700. I have read so many glowing comments here about Harbeth — as if just saying the name is the password for entering aural nirvana. I admit, I haven’t listened to Harbeth speakers. But looking at these, they just look like smallish bookshelf speakers. I’m not questioning how good others say these speakers are, but HOW do they do it out of an ordinary-looking box?

Is it the wood? Is it the bracing? Is it the crossover components? Is it the cone material? What is the reason why these Harbeth’s are such gems compared to other bookshelf speakers? What is it about the construction or technology that makes these speakers a deal at $2700 on sale versus the $800, 900 or $1,000 that others normally cost? What is the secret that makes audiophiles thrill to get such a costly bargain?

bob540

Sweet, Slow, Polite, Boring at time.

Accurate on voicing, Can sound very musical with the right gear.

Not suitable for all music Type. I would not say these are dynamic speakers so really fast classical music or likewise anything that requires speed its gona sound too soft.

Perfect speakers for the bedroom, when your making love and listening to soft music :-)

I always like the Quested Speakers over the Harbeths,  Voicing is almost similar but Harbeth is allot warmer and sweeter. Quested is more Transaprent but low fatique and more exciting and can get your hairs standing up at times.

Quested is another UK Brand one of the most Underated speakers.

Never heard of Quested — I wonder what the chances are that anyone near me carries them?

I would especially like to hear the Harbeth 40.2.  But at $20,000 for a pair, there is next to no chance I would ever own them — not unless I win the Lotto!

op

quested’s are second gen brit studio monitors, very very limited distribution - basically a pro line product, not really for home hifi - like atc, they are true modern studio monitors, which may or may not please the home listening audiophile, a very very different sound than harbeths

harbeth monitor 40’s in 40.2 form run about 10-13 grand a pair in the usa, depending on finish and condition... it is the latest versions 40.3 xd or anniversary, that generally trade at 16-19k a pair used (but still approximate new given their very recent release), then you add stands...

The Harbeth like my librarian friend but wife sister know how to get rock and get crazy. Good have variety.