The New Lampizator Horizon DAC

On Saturday, I was lucky enough to be invited to the unofficial launch of the all-new Lampizator Horizon DAC in Los Angeles.  I have a Pacific and love it but I was intrigued to experience whether the Horizon was that much better.  So, My wife and I drove the 6 hours from Arizona to attend.  

The event had about 18 people in attendance and featured Lukasz Fikus, the owner and brains behind Lampizator.  We had a 5-hour listening session which included direct A/B comparisons between the Pacific and the Horizon, operating the Horizon without a preamp, and finally tube rolling.

My impressions were the Lampizator created a DAC that could change people's minds on comparing digital to vinyl,  The amount of detail, smoothness, clarity, speed was incredible.   For those interested in tube rolling the options are almost endless and I heard firsthand many different tube combinations which changed the SQ of the music.  Finally, at the end of the session, we ran the Horizon without a preamp.  The preamp used in the system was Lamm and the whole system was well over $700k.  So we are talking about a very high-end component grouping.   IMO, the Horizon DAC delivered about 95% of the sound without a Preamp.  It was super hard to discern any differences in SQ.

This DAC was so good that I ended up ordering one.  For anyone going to the Tampa Audio show, Lukasz Fikus will be there to officially launch the Horizon to the world this weekend.  It is definitely worth a listen.

willgolf

@ghasley

@havocman

Your value analysis wasn’t asked for”

Neither was your critique of what he said! But you went ahead anyway.

Dear Sirs...one comment I receive from both family and friends is, "wow! You sure have spent alot $$$ on your stereo system!" This from a guy that owns a $25,000 boat he uses three times a years. Hobbies come with various price tags. Everyone on this site has been criticized for conspicuous consumption one time or another. A quality bottle of wine? $30? A night out for two $200. "Boys and their toys." New bed $4000. Kitchen cabinets $35000. Yes, my Dad was right, there are starving children in India. Honestly we all live better than we need. How much is too much for an interconnect ? Too much for a phono cartridge? My NOS tubes aren't free. My wife began to recite the audio purchases $$$ I've made in the past 10 years. (Credit card records are invasive surveillance!) Then I realized most of that stuff was sold down line to other audiophile newbies. (Usually .50 cents on the $1 but still)  Its one oasis of peace and magic in my life. Criticism of Wilgolf above got me thinking. Comments?

@tsushima1 

LOL....so are you in that camp? Where its cool to snipe a thread on a high end audio site where generally speaking, most items discussed are variations of questionable value to those who either don't understand the topic or won't or can't spend the requisite cost of entry? Especially posting when the OP communicated that value input wasn't solicited?

Post removed