Audiogon is becoming the hub for scammers.

In the past 12 years, Audiogon was a great resource for buying used Mcintosh Amps. Recently, it became the hub for scammers listing all kind of Mcintosh gears. I got scammed myself but Paypal and my bank caught it. Audiogon answer was be careful with some of our sellers( what a laughable comment). For now, I will not list or buy till Audiogon find a way to verify the new sellers. Too bad 👎…,,

128x128analoguefan

I would just be very, very grateful that the system worked correctly and protected you. Consider yourself blessed..

@joeeuro 

I originally joined to purchase a pair of Sonus Faber speakers, so not all new members are bad. Sorry you had such an experience.

Yes well I bought a McIntosh preamp on Audiogon  used it worked for 4 months and is now Dead.

this is not what is meant by being scammed. If it worked for 4 months so you got what you paid for, it just unfortunately died. That happens a lot with used electronics. It should be able to be repaired. 

It's not just on audiogon.   Scammers are prevalent everywhere these days.   I'm from the IT industry and am surprised at how brazen they are becoming.   Both from a technology perspective as well as social engineering.  I do my due diligence and haven't been burned yet but....it's a new world out there.   

If I have any concern whatsoever I do a phone call with the buyer or seller.  I ask for emails, not just PM's.  I only use paypal.  I look up clients address.  I do anything necessary to be comfortable before the deal takes place.  If I can't trace a potential sale to a real person, I'm done.  And if I don't like what I'm seeing, or even think I smell a small rat, I'm done.  If a buyer or seller have no feedback, I'm done. 

You really need to be ready to say no these days.   

Real coincidence this thread popping up since I posted a new thread this morning based on my experience with what I’m certain are scammers on this site, selling McIntosh gear (clearly they are a popular item). Link

If I have any concern whatsoever I do a phone call with the buyer or seller. I ask for emails, not just PM’s. I only use paypal. I look up clients address. I do anything necessary to be comfortable before the deal takes place.

Couldn;t agree more with the above. I have noticed most people in this hobby are more than willing to talk on the phone and usually very transparent about what they are selling. If they refuse to chat on the phone, that’s a BIG red flag in my book!