Modest Speakers for Large Room

I'm dipping my toe into Hi-Fi and have a pretty large listening room. Approximate dimensions are 14'x35' with peaked ceiling at 9' to 12'6" (9' on the long sides). Even these dimensions are a bit misleading as this room is also open to my dining area at one end (opposite my intended speaker location)which adds another 14'x14' or so. I realize there is a lot of acoustic tuning to be done in this room, which I'm working on, but It's time to start looking at speakers. I'd like the be in the $1500 range for my first set. Also, there is only one hi-fi shop in/around my home so I'll likely be traveling to ATL to audition some more speakers, but I'm wondering if you kind folks could point me in the right direction so to speak. Help lead the blind and you'll surely be rewarded with gobs of good Karma!
chunkster
You should audition the Vandersteen 2CE Signature II speakers. Just a bit over your budget but a little dealin may get them there. If I had a room and, more importantly, a wife that would accommodate them I'd give them a try.
Thank you guys for all the responses. I've got a list going with all the speakers I'd like to here. I've got an old prejudice against Klipsch. My best friends dad had a set of very expensive Klipsch speakers in the 90's that to my ear never sounded worth a crap. Of course I didn't know or care about room acoustics at that time and neither did he. I definitely want to here a pair of Vandersteen's. Used 2ce are within my price range and they seem to be a well regarded classic. I'm having a little trouble finding reasonable distance dealers for some of the other brands. I'd like to here some Revel's but can't seem to find any reasonably close dealers. Thanks again for all the info, keep it coming!
My Carbon 7 speakers that I advertise here on AudioGon can actually fill a big room like yours with a high powered amp like your Adcom. The price for a brand new pair is more, however I currently have some demo models that are in your budget, contact me for more info on them. They also come with a 30 day trial so you can check them out on your system & acoustic environment.

Here is a link to a customers review that had them in a 14 x 36 ft room with high ceilings-
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?99646-Fritz-Speakers-Carbon-7&p=1314641#post1314641

Good luck & happy listening... Fritz