Marantz SA-10

I currently own a Modwright Marantz SA-8005. Its has some upgrades including a WyWires umbilical and SR Purple fuse. Its a great player but I'm considering some system upgrades and the Modwright outboard PS will be an issue. The plan was to move to either an Esoteric/Luxman unit but after doing some research another possible candidate might be a Marantz SA-10. Has anyone had a chance to compare the SA-10 with the Modwright SA-8005? Would the SA-10 be and upgrade or just a sideways move? As always your feedback is appreciated.

cmach

Jayctoy,

That is quite the assortment of players there.

FWIW, I wouldn't mind having an SA-10 as I now have a fully balanced amplifier. It's just that where I live, Australia, the SA-10 is 11K AUD and unaffordable for me.

Steve

After a bit of thought...................

The SA-10 output stage would be like the SA-11 output stage and run everything through the balanced output stage and then sum the + and - legs for the single ended rca's. The Ruby would be like the 8005 and have a differential summing of the + and - legs and then a single ended output stage.

Nice to know that one can hear the difference.

Sharri , The Marantz 8005 sacd player is a very descent player, especially if you use good ic and power cable like audience power chord.Music Direct sometimes have them open box for $$5200 , on Audiogon they show up used as well.The SA 10 respond well with different pc even the Ruby, The High Fidelity ct2 pc will elevate the SA10 with huge improvements, even the Ruby loves the ct2, it’s pricey but High Fidelity at times they go on sale.

Sharri the Ruby is also a very very good player. With good power cable and ic it will compete with any sacd player out there . Right now Iam using high fidelity ct2 ic and audience power chord, On my SA10   Iam using ct2 pc and Nordost Tyr ic..

Just thought I would circle back and answer my own question. I pulled the trigger on a Marantz SA-10 from Music Direct last week. Its been breaking in since Thursday and it has about 30 hours on it. More time is needed but I can give some early impressions.

Compared to my Modwright this player is just in a whole other league. More resolution, transparency and dynamics combined with a very refined sound. Given the cost differences this is to be expected. The build quality is also at level commensurate with the cost. I'm really enjoying my time with the SA-10 and think it will be a significant upgrade to my system.