Decisive moments your your audio journey

Have you had any truly decisive moments in your time in this hobby? 

I would have to point back to the first time I ever heard Magnepans, it was a “whoa what was that moment?” moment. That was in the 1980’s. It was the first time I ever truly heard reproduced music that got the midrange right, without it being squished 

128x128zavato

Most recently, when the Carver Crimson 275 fraud burst just in time for – I'd been considering it. The exposé of the 15 watt output transformer in a claimed 75 watt amplifier made me go back and look at how much over-the-top hype (too kind a word) I'd fallen for.

For me, it was a Sansui 1000X my sister gave my parents as a Christmas present in 1971.  I spent hours listening to the radio with headphones I'd saved my allowance months for (I was 10).  I've been on the "how do I get the music to sound better" path ever since.

Plus 3 for the Snell Type A’s, playing the 1812 Overture, blew me away! Then the DQ-10’s, then the Accoust Model 3’s which I swapped for a pair of Model X’s that I still have today.

JD

Fist time I heard Acoustat 1s. And when I decided to go to separates in '82-ish.