McIntosh -- good for show, not for sound, says dealer

More unvarnished truth from YouTube.
"real audiophiles...know it doesn't sound that good"

https://youtu.be/sMUQqAagKm0?t=181

Real audiophiles -- be aware. You've been read the Riot Act. 

Discuss.

128x128hilde45

It also comes down to personal choice also.

My room is optimized and I have owned several modern McIntosh integrated sand sold them, just was not for me from a sound or esthetic point.

The amps were well built just not my cup of tea.

Now comparing the brand to a Lexus I can see, predictable, sterile, and stable. Like a Honda motorcycle.

But it is still a great American Iconic Brand as is HD, Chevy, Cadillac, Cat and Boeing. 

Mac stuff is really pretty.  So was the Sequerra Tuner and the Transcriptor TT.

Levinson stuff is also pretty, and it is hard to beat Bang and Olufsen for looks.

Of course if you want to reproduce recorded music accurately, there are pretty much unlimited other choices, but hey, if looks is your thing and not music, well, go for it!

Cheers!

Turning people against one another is one way of looking at what he says. I look at it like that's his opinion. Saying he's turning people against one another feeds into permanent disagreement and division. That's your opinion of what's happening, it doesn't make it true. 

@vuch 

Point taken. So, it is my *argument* (not "opinion") that he is name-bashing in the video. He is over-generalizing in the video. It is an old "David vs. Goliath" trope. You buy it. I don't. You're working with him, I'm not. 

I don't own any of the gear he bashes. I don't work with him. I have no dog in this fight, but I see what he's up to. It's pretty obvious.

Oh, and I'm not "canceling" him. I'm calling him out for *what he actually says.* The charge of cancellation smacks of desperation when when it's used to sub in for a counterargument.

Reproduced sound is always a subjective matter of the listener and I don’t think Mikey gets that. I believe Mikey is more of a Mac hater than an audiophile. Don’t really share his views which is fine but Mikey really lost his credibility when you said you can buy a Mac for a 40% discount. Please post where, because I’m a buyer! The truth is McIntosh holds their resale value more than another brand and actually you’d be hard pressed to find a Mac at a 40% discount used. So judging from the masses I know there’s always going to be someone trying to knock off the king of the hill off the top or whatever reason but your reasoning borders on lame without any evidence except your thoughts. BTW I don’t really care what a Mac looks like but I don’t need a candle with my tube glow!

I haven’t done a lot of serious listening McIntosh equipment. I did recently seriously audition the MA252 integrated. Worked great with a pair of Sonus Fabers. Not good at all with a pair of Harbechs. Okay with mine. My take, though, is that it was overpriced for the sound. But you get good, US service, and that's part of the price. 

A lot of this is about equipment matching.