Question about Class A

So I read all the time how awesome Class A Amps/Integrated's (SS and Tube) are.

I currently have a Vincent SV-500 Hybrid and feel it sounds really good.

But I have this itch now to hear what Class A would sound like and would it be a big difference to my current Vincent.

I wanted to ask what are some good Class A Integrated's that I could look into?

I know Pass Labs always comes up and for good reason but those might be a bit out of my budget.

I would say I can probably go to $3K new or used.

Sugden is another brand that I have researched a lot and the A21 retails for around $2500 and there is a dealer in Socal that carries it, so that one is tempting.

Vincent has the SV-237 MK II but I think that is only Class A for the 1st 10 watts into 8-ohms and I have 4-ohm speakers so I am not sure if that would give me any Class A magic. I am sure it would sound similar to my SV-500 but have more base extension.

Could you all recommend any other one's? I have been researching but haven't come across any (SS or Tube).

Thanks

128x128jay73

I believe the krell amp has a fan and ibais which makes it run cool and it only uses a lot of electricity if it is being driven hard.

Class A power amp don't have an intrinsic sound.  The overall design of the amp is more important.  It's not like in tube amps where someone can hear the difference between EL84s and 300Bs.

@audioguy85  Ever get a chance to hear Sudgen's integrated one model up from the A-21se?

I think its called the i-4?

@audioguy85 A dealer in Irvine, CA is selling the A21 for $2400 actually (my mistake). That’s the one that I was referring to. The A21se, they sell for $3250 as you mentioned.

@cakyol The Schitt Aegir does look interesting. I looked into it a little bit. Seems like two use the Aegir as mono’s, you need to use the balanced input and my Vincent does not have Balanced outputs.

Also, according to reviews I read, when used as mono’s, you have to be connected to 8-ohm speakers although I saw a review by New Record Day on YT and he had them connected to 4-ohm speakers but I guess it’s not official by Schitt.

And Class A is for the first 10 watts and after that it goes into it’s "Continuity" Technology which is supposed to still sound close to Class A.

But as I said, it does look like an interesting option.

@jay73 You can find a used Parasound A21+ for around $2500. Which is what I paid for it. I traded it in for a KRELL 175XD but the A21+ was very good.

[edit] Oops. I did not realize you were referring to the Sudgen . However, have a listen to the Parasound. It is rather good and in the price range you seek. The first 6 watts are Class A.

Forget anything about marketing and of course Krell 175 doesn’t have 175 Watt Class A, even most of Pass Labs amps don’t. Normally you will have 20-30W Class A, producing a heat of more than 100-150W for that kind of power. I doubt there is a good cheap Pure Class A out there, because design, materials and heat dissipation will make it heavy and expensive.

Here is the marketing for the KRELL. iBias Technology – Krell (krellhifi.com)

Krell’s iBias Class A technology allows our latest amplifiers to run in full Class A mode to full power while minimizing heat generation. Previous efforts at using a “tracking” bias, while effective, only measured the incoming signal and set bias levels from this information. Our new patent pending iBias technology significantly elevates the effectiveness of previous designs by calculating bias from the output stage. This seemingly small change in topology results in a dramatic improvement in sound quality, especially midrange richness and purity.

Seems pretty clear to me.