What phono cartridge is suited for metal and heavy rock?

I want to purchase a new phono cartridge to replace my Ortofon 2m Blue. Since I'm not an expert by any means, I could do with some advice.

My musical taste is on the heavier side, I mainly listen to stonerrock, metal and 70's rock. 

My turntable is a Pro-Ject Perspective. I use a Musical Fidelity M1 LPS phono Preamp which is connected to a Marantz AV 8801 Preamp. My amplifier is a Marantz MM7055.

The sound of the Blue is a bit bright, maybe somewhat dull, for my taste. But since there are so many brands and models to choose from some help would be appreciated. 

alex-77

Try a Audio-Technica VM540ML. I bought one while deciding on a new cartridge. The diamond on my Hana SH just disappeared. I actually liked it better than the SH.

The Audio-Technica VM540ML would be very price-friendly in comparison to the other cartridges. I can't say that's a bad thing 🙂

Heavy Rock can present the frequency extremes with abundance.

Screaming Vocals, Guitar Shredding and then all the way down to visceral solar plexus thumping Bass Lines.

Most who enjoy Rock will have been in a venue experiencing it performed live at some point in their lives.

I don't know any HiFi System that will render a live performance experience of gut thumping Lowest Note Bass Lines, but the Upper Bass Notes, Mid's, Upper Mids and High's are certainly able to be produced to a presentation that can be perceived to have an honesty.

I don't know many Cart's that can deliver noticeable Bottom End Bass and then project the Mid's and High's with a Coherence that is seemingly a balance across all of the bandwidth.

One extreme of frequency is usually traded of to achieve the noticeable presence and the opposite end of the frequency range can sound as though it is lacking/subdued in projection.

A Cart' might need to be considered that will emphasise the frequencies that are most important to the listener, whilst replaying Rock LP's.      

Its impossible to make a cartridge favor a certain genre. What makes it good for metal will make it good for jazz too. With high output cartridges, if not loaded properly they can be bright due to high frequency resonances caused by the inductance of the cartridge in parallel with the capacitance of the tonearm cable. That is why low capacitance cables are used for phono signals!

You'll also find that the ability of the arm to track the cartridge properly far outweighs the cartridge character! Put another way, if the arm isn't doing its job properly neither will the cartridge. Paying attention to proper setup is really important too!

I've yet to hear a cartridge that could not do Fields of Nephilim, Black Sabbath and Verdi's Requiem all equally well. 

I think you'll find that controlling vibration around the turntable is a big deal if the turntable is in the room with the speakers. Anti-vibration platforms can really help the deep bass, smoothness in the highs at high volumes!