The Ortofon Verismo Has Arrived!

The first Ortofon Verismo cartridges have arrived. This cartridge is a real treat and like Ortofon is known for, the value of this cartridge is off the charts. For those of you not familiar, Ortofon is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, manufacturer of cartridges there is. They have been doing it at an extreme level for over 100 years. Due to their buying power, technology and manufacturing capabilities, they can produce better cartridges than most manufacturers at much lower prices.

The Ortofon Verismo is a moving coil cartridge that retails at $7k and I have not heard its equal at near that price. It is amazingly dynamic, with great resolution and transparency. Texturally, the Verismo is beautiful. it has wonderful body and musicality while retaining a "lifelife" nature. It is vastly superior to either the A90 or A95 and a better overall cartridge than the Anna. While it is not as refined as the Anna Diamond, it may be a bit more "mic feed" like. There is a bit more "rawness" to it but, man it is fun as hell to hear!

If someone can tell me how to upload pictures, I would be happy to do so.

jtinn

Awesome! This cartridge is extremely interesting. I have an A90 and really like it. Can you confirm whether it has a diamond cantilever or boron? The Ortofon info says it’s diamond, but some of the product images / renderings really look like boron.

Though the new image insertion feature is (finally!) nice to have, it’s a bit awkward since they don’t offer hosting. I use my imgur account (free) to upload & host photos for audio groups, and link to that in my comments via the "Direct Link" URL from the desired imgur pic.

Yes, I think the easiest way to describe it is an updated A95 with a diamond cantilever.

Having become Wed to Ortofon MC's for a good period of time, and when the opportunity arrives, am always happy to be able to listen to their upper end models, the Verismo does have an allure, 

It will be interesting to see if this is a Model produced with Materials used for the design, that supersedes other materials used for the Ortofon incorporated Technologies and the Verismo is the Flagship Model, that will eventually have a range of Cart's to follow that will have a Trickle Down of the used Technology.

There does seem to be a increased use of a material on the Body in comparison to the A90 and A95, so I assume there is a design intent to add a little more fullness to a bass note, with the body adding to this as the influence.     

Look forward to the sharing of the user experience with the Cart'.

Yes, the idea of a supercharged A95 (or super-super charged A90) with diamond cantilever is very tantalizing! Agree that hopefully the extra body mass might add some fullness and impact to the sound? The A90 isn't thin by any means, but it certainly tends a bit towards "lean". 

I didn't love the Jubilee MC and Windfeld MC, and quite honestly that put me off Ortofon high-end cartridges for years. But the A90 brought me some hope back, and the Verismo certainly looks like the cat's pj's.