New to dac/cd transport concept

I'm new to breaking up the cd player and dac into seperates. Some seem to love the results, While others don't. My question is if I use my marantz 8260 cd/sacd player as a transport and marry it with a very good used dac of the 1-2K range used will I gain anything?
Also will I still be able to use the dac w/sacd's,or will the dac have to be sacd capable. Have no expierience with this type of setup if the questions sound stupid.
russe41
I can't answer you there I'm afraid, since I have no experience with any of them. :) I play only regular CDs for now.

Check out the thread called "Reference DACs - an overall perspective"-something and ask the guys in there, they are very knowledgeable.
Am resurrecting this thread in the hope of getting some advice for my system. I hope Russe41 won't mind. I'm thinking about trying an outboard DAC to improve sound on playback of redbook CDs from a Cambridge Audio D500SE. The D500SE has a BNC digital out jack but no RCA digital out which I gather can limit choices. Is it realistic to expect improvements going to an outboard DAC with a max. budget of $600? Willing to buy used. The motivator here is that, I've been so impressed with the effect of upgrades to TT & pre-amp on vinyl, I'm wondering how I might get my CDs to sound better. Thanks in advance for your time and advice. (Equipment: JoLida 502B, Totem Forests, JPS Lab Ultraconductor speaker cables (bi-wired), Superconductor FX Interconnects).
Ghost, may be. Something like this?
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1190270541

Check these on e-bay as well....
A Bel Canto DAC1 would be a signiciant improvement. Available used for under $500. BNC/RCA adapters are easily available.
Audphile1, Narrod -
Thank you. I had in fact skimmed some of the DAC classifieds. Lots of options and quite a range of prices there...hard to know where to begin sorting things out. Your suggestions are much appreciated.