Don Sachs DS2 Preamp - too good to be true?

So I'm looking at trying out a tube preamp. Have always been SS but curious about tubes. Came across a lot of buzz on this forum and others for Don Sachs' custom DS2 line stage preamp, and it has really piqued my interest/curiosity.

I guess I'm wondering if the hype is too good to be true? A lot of people seem to favor this over commercial preamps that far exceed its price. 

Has anyone tried it and been unhappy? I guess the 2 main thoughts in my head are:

1. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is

2. Why couldn't any given established audio company, with I'm sure deeper pockets and more resources than Don S has, put out an amp that performs as well or better at a comparable price?

The normal answer would be to demo/try it for yourself, but that seems basically impossible in this case as there is no dealer network, demo units, etc...

slazechko

I spoke to Don when I was looking for a preamp. He’s a one-man-shop and builds each unit as a custom order. There was a long wait so I moved on.

Everyone raves about the preamp and I believe the hype to be true. BTW, Don is semi-retired now and only builds a few amps and preamps per year.

I can only speak from my own experience, and I’m not about to say or suggest that the Sachs is better than every other preamp in the land.

What I can say is that in the almost two years since it’s entered my system, I have been off the preamp merry go round with no urge to go back. What the DS2 does,it does as well or better than any preamp I’ve heard. But I haven’t heard all of them, and its character may not be everyone’s cup of tea.   

In my system, it’s been magic. I keep an LTA MZ2 on hand for when I want something a little different, but the DS2 is my mainstay for now - and will be for quite some time, I think.

You better compared with same tube pre with Modwright and Atma-sphere and then talk.

There is slogan here" Tube amp are very difficult to make bad SQ"

This slogan is especially true for some one just coming from SS amplifier,as there are different league.

So You got compare and talk, that will be accurate.

Don is amazing. The DS2 is the culmination of his on the job learning. He didn’t exactly design it, though he certainly has the ability to design. What else he knows is circuit perfection. After decades of working on Citation and Macintosh modifications, he found a preamp which he was able to modify into probably one of the world’s best, yet he sells at nearly a bargain basement price considering the fit, finish, sound, and the quality of the components used. If I didn’t already own one, I would certainly buy one now!