Your method for discovering great music.

I'm in a slump. It has been a while since I've discovered new music that I really like. And when I say "new" I mean new to me. Maybe even rediscovered would count as new.

I do not have a method. I usually stumble into new music that I like. I also don't have loads of hours to sort through tons of stuff I don't like. Plus I find that random sort of pursuit to be frustrating and unrewarding most of the time.

Amazon Music had half decent 'recommended for you' lists but I don't recall if that ever paid off. I use Qobuz now which sucks in that particular department.

I've found a few bands that I like from recommendations here at Audiogon but I have not been here much lately.

So I'm curious as to how some of you approach that search for great music that is either actually new, new to you or rediscovered.

n80

KCRW.com from Santa Monica CA. Though I listen via FM. My TIDAL and Qobuz library has grown a lot when I hear music on KCRW.

The newish TIDAL deep dive playlists are also something I like to discover old music/

I've been listening to my Spotify Discover Weekly playlist this morning. Half way through the 30 song playlist and I've already added 4 of the tracks to my persistent "discovered" playlist. Music discovery is really easy in the internet age...

Okay, I’ve got Spotify, the free version. Like it so far.

I like Radio Paradise a lot too.

Now for some tech questions with these:

1) I do not see Spotify Discover Weekly. Either it is staring me in the face or it must be only with a paid subscription.

2) With free Spotify you can select "high" in the qaulity settings but not "very high". Does anyone know what "high" and "very high" mean? To my ear "high" sounds decent. I’m assuming "very high" comes with paid version.

3) My main system is old. I listen to Sonos through an old Sonos Connect. Works fine in that capacity. It does not work with AirPlay. So I access AirPlay through an old AppleTV module. It SUCKS. Audio breaks up and skips constantly. Because of this I can only do Radio Paradise on this system through the Sonos app. For some reason the SQ is a bit flat and you cannot skip through songs within Sonos. AirPlay and the Radio Paradise app works fine throughout the rest of the house because all those Sonos components are newer. What would be the cheapest way to get my main (old) system integrated with AirPlay? I could buy the new Sonos Port but that’s $450 and the only thing I’d get over the old Sonos Connect is AirPlay. There has to be a cheaper option.

4) Happily Spotify works through the old Sonos Connect without AirPlay. I have no idea why. Maybe it came with Spotify integration?

@n80 - I just checked Spotify's website to see "what's up". Here's what I found:

On that page, it says "To generate your Discover Weekly playlist - we need to get to know your tastes for a few weeks, so get Spotify above and start listening. If you are already signed up, click get playlist to see if your playlist is ready."

Got it. That makes sense. I'll spend some time with Spotify, as I have been this evening. It makes it MUCH easier to browse for new music than Qobuz or even Amazon Music as it is already showing suggestions of bands similar to the ones I just listened to and seems to get closer than Amazon. Can't say I've hit gold yet but certainly some artists to explore. Looking forward to when the Discover Weekly feature kicks in.