Thiel speaker service

Hello, I just wanted to pass along about Rob at Coherent Sound and the repair he did on a tweeter/midrange driver that needed repair on my Thiel CS 2.3 speakers. Rob was very helpful and informative and the fastest turnaround time for a repair I have ever seen. The price was reasonable considering the repair that needed to be done, I would like to see more businesses operate that way. Anyway got the driver installed and the speakers sound great. I would highly recommend any Thiel owner to Rob for repairs.
128x128hoghead1
hoghead1

Good to read that you had a favorable experience with Mr. Rob Gillum at CSS. Feel free to join us over on the Thiel Owners thread. We have a few CS 2.3 fans and owners on the Panel.

Happy Listening!
Can I echo the positive comments on Rob's service.

I have upgraded from 2.4 to 2.4SE using a kit from Rob and he recently rebuilt both my coax drivers for me.  Frightening posting them from the UK but they are safely back and I am sure sounding better than ever.

I am so relieved that Rob is still there flying the Thiel flag.  When I 'lost' my speakers due to a driver failure I had absolutely no idea where to go to get anywhere near the performance of my Thiels.

Am wanting to hear more about Thiel drivers failures. I know the 1st order x-overs allow signal content into the non-linear behavior zone(s) of some drivers.  I don't much about peak excursion limits of various cones Jim Thiel chose to employ.  Don't know much about Thiel co-ax driver designs, or what "totally messed up CS3.7" might entail.

My purpose in asking?  I've always wanted to own a pair (e.g., CS3.6, CS2.3...) and want to know more about what may lie ahead if a fatigue failure eventually occurs.

^ As I understand it most Thiel driver failures are the result of underpowered / overdriven use. Being mindful of Thiel's minimum impedance and the amp's ability to truly handle it, and you should be OK. Even with the 1st order cross-over overlaps, most Thiel drivers are quite robust, and can handle quite a bit of power. 

The CS 3.5's mid-range replacements are a difficult find.

I don't disagree.  Yet in 2+ decades I've never tripped the APOC circuit, smoked a tweeter, or overdisplaced a cone/coil of a cone driver on my B&W 801-II's.  Bi-amped (200+ watts on woofer, 120+ watts on mid/high), sometimes played to thundering levels in my 24 by 12 room (with two openings to similarly sized spaces), the B&W's play on and on and on like the Energizer Bunny.  Nor have I read of owner's having driver failures on 801's or other power hungry B&W's. 

If I ever find an unmolested pair of CS2.3's or similar, maybe they won't ever replace my 801-II's.  Instead they'll be carefully used for "Sunday drives" like a finicky troubleprone old Fiat 124 Spyder, as they can't be relied upon to take me anywhere at any time?  If one's primary speakers fail, one is metaphorically speaking left on the side of the road. 

My 801-II's powered as they are behave like an older Toyota Corolla.  Take care of it then drive it anywhere anytime perpetually. 

I've heard of 801 owners rotating the woofer 180 degrees to offset any accumulated cone sag mitigating its impact on coil alignment.  I've never heard of Thiel owners doing any such maintenance to their cones.

In summary, I agree any impedence challenged power hungry beast can be misused then damaged.  Parts are a huge issue that must lower resale value of some otherwise highly valued Thiel speakers.