Your method for discovering great music.

I'm in a slump. It has been a while since I've discovered new music that I really like. And when I say "new" I mean new to me. Maybe even rediscovered would count as new.

I do not have a method. I usually stumble into new music that I like. I also don't have loads of hours to sort through tons of stuff I don't like. Plus I find that random sort of pursuit to be frustrating and unrewarding most of the time.

Amazon Music had half decent 'recommended for you' lists but I don't recall if that ever paid off. I use Qobuz now which sucks in that particular department.

I've found a few bands that I like from recommendations here at Audiogon but I have not been here much lately.

So I'm curious as to how some of you approach that search for great music that is either actually new, new to you or rediscovered.

n80

I read reviews in print or online publications that have similar tastes to mine, Then I'll go to Qobuz or something and check it out if something seems like it would appeal to me....

- The What's On Your Turntable Tonight? thread here on Audiogon.

- The VC (Vinyl Community) videos on YouTube.

- The No Depression website.

- Interviews with artists, who mention others.

- The credits on albums. Brian Wilson led me to Van Dyke Parks, Van Dyke led me to Randy Newman, Randy led me to Ry Cooder, Ry led me to John Hiatt, etc.

I read classical and jazz threads here in audiogon...

I like to  READ why someone enjoy some music and not only listen to the music first...

Why?

Because i like to explore out of my first reflex personal taste...

Then i prefer reading about music before listening to it or during my first listening .... If not, i will entertain only my innate or acquired actual taste... Reading why someone like this or that can awake some unknown fiber in my brain/soul/heart...

I discovered this way, persian music, indian music and more...

My first persian music was a discarded bad recording of persian tanbur album..

The one who own it discard it to me saying that it was horrible music with horrible sound..

For an unexperimented  north american  ears it was not false... 😁😊

But before listening to this album i read the text inside the cd...

And to my suprise the great classical violonist Yehudi Menihin  said that listening to this persian master of the tanbur was one of the greatest musical experience in his life... I was thinking why it is? Spiritual and rythmic, and harmonic, melodic  consumed  virtuosity in improvisation...

I was stunned... Especially when i listened to this album for the first time and my first persian music album by this sufi master... the sound was not very good but it was listenable...

But guess what?

After 2 listening i was completely flabbergasted....I used this music to meditate time to time and i bought many others persian music on different instruments... Same for India...

The rest is my personal musical history...

Most of my discoveries over the years have been through Pandora, Spotify radio, Linn Jazz radio, Radio Caroline, PowePop Criminals site and reading reviews.

Now you can try before you buy.