Tube Integrated vs Tube Seperates

I’m looking into buying a tube setup.  Thinking it will be Primaluna because I find tube amps a bit intimidating and I will be putting lots of hours on it. Because these factors Primaluna seems like at least a good place to start for me. Thanks to all who gave me there impressions in my previous post about Primaluna.  Anyway, looking for people’s take on tube integrated vs tube seperates. Really what I’m looking for in the move is more holographic soundstage, bloom, air, and an over all more lifelike presentation. Will I get more of these qualities by going Dialogue preamp into Dialogue amp, or with the Dialogue HP integrated, or will it be very similar?  Any thoughts are much appreciated 

brylandgoodman

The 'idea' of separates makes sense, except when it comes to well made integrated from high quality makers which surround us these many years.

IMO you can give up a lot: convenience of unified features, reduced cost, size/weight/heat/placement issues for an 'idea' that will yield no actual perceptible difference if it is a high quality maker.

Power supplies: everything comes from separate circuit first to my Furman's capacitors, then to unit's capacitors. Everything goes thru the tiny wire in the tiny fuse, so thin hard to see. Meters typically show .01 w all the way up to a few watts most of the time, an occasional needed spurt from ...

I just bought a nice (get ready for the formerly dreaded word) Receiver, a Yamaha CR-1040, what a beauty, beautifully made, not tubes but sounds terrific, what convenience for that system! 

Did you ask Prima what difference they think you will actually perceive?

btw, I LOVE my Cayin Tube Integrated, and if Prima quality is as good as Cayin, that's hard to do, they are wonderfully made and sounding (your tube type preference gets involved of course).

I've moved between integrated and separates a number of times throughout my 30+ years in this wonderful hobby.  At your price point there are many excellent options.  I owned a PrimaLuna HP and rolled power tubes up to KT 150.  I really enjoyed the sound quality until I committed to streaming at which time I wanted to play with preamps.  Anyway today I own separates and would suggest you strongly consider the same if for no other reason the flexibility they offer.  Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for all the input. I’m leaning towards seperates right now. I do like that it gives me more flexibility. My main concern going tubes is power. I’ve used high power solid state for a long time. If I go seperates I can easily keep the preamp and move back to solid state for the power if I think that’s needed. I do have a little concern over 30-40 watts being enough, but I think I’m going to give it a shot and see how it works out. The hp Primaluna is really only a 3db difference. When I look at it from that perspective doubling the tubes for 3db doesn’t make much sense to me.
Regarding Line Magnetic my main concern is heat. At least with there set amps that get most the rave reviews. I’ve read they put out some crazy heat, and I just don’t think that makes sense for hours of daily use.  If someone could convince me I’m wrong I’d love to try one out.