GIK Vicoustic and others

I started work on my basement room which will be used exclusively for 2 channel stereo 

It's quite small 14 x 11 but that's all I got to work with. 

What is the best way to position speakers? Along the long wall or the short wall? 

Would Sonus Faber Ellipsa overload this small room? 

I got two 20 amp receptacles and two 15 amp for other things 

I'm looking into proper acoustic treatments and was wondering which company is best for price and quality  

Also, are there specific recommendations for dry wall and insulation ? Do I Insulate the ceiling or just walls?  It's a small room, I am concerned about making it too dead. What about ceiling ? 

ei001h

I am only going to speak to acoustics.  I have ordered from Vicoustic and GIK.  I think you should ask either Vicoustic or GIK to provide a free room analysis.  They will tell you what you need in your basement.  It is a waste of time asking us.  

Small rooms are not doomed to fail but may be more demanding of speaker/listening chair placement.  I once had a similarly small room in a basement and was shocked at the quality of the sound I achieved in a near field arrangement.

Of course you will want to insulate your walls--but not for acoustic reasons.  It does very little acoustically.  Now double sheet rock may be worth considering.  Make sure you place outlets in strategic places as you will need to see if the long or short wall sounds best.  Hard to predict that.  My room had a dropped ceiling--this can double as a bass trap if need be.

GIK has a good reputation. I can also recommend Audimute. Acoustic treatments are also very easy DIY projects.  If you did a nearfield arrangement, I would treat the first reflection points on the sidewalls and the wall behind you with 2x4' panels to dampen reflections off those surfaces (Your seated position will probably have to be near the rear wall and you don't want all that "early reflected" sound confusing things).  I would then try to work on some diffusion of the front wall or near room corners.

Just some suggestions. Have fun and good luck!

I too have been starting to research acoustic treatments for my room. 

I am a little apprehensive about GIK right now. If you search online they seem to be having pandemic related issues with delivery and quality. 

Might want to check out some other options until GIK get sorted out. It's difficult as their Alpha series is perfect for what I need. 

Vicoustic looks cool but $$$$$. Darko just did his room in Vicoustics I think. Spent five figures. 

Good luck!