Best Server To Run Roon Core

Hi Folks,

I don’t currently run ROON, but would like to begin correctly in order to give it a chance - and I understand that server (hardware) on which Roon core is installed is important for SQ (due to noise reduction and other factors).

What are the best hardware for SQ and usability where ROON core should be installed and why (be it audiophile dedicated servers or modified PCs)? Please comment on the rest of your setup for context if you could.

Thank you in advance.

Ag insider logo xs@2xjmarshak

@jksec Running directly to dac generally means running out usb port on server, unless this is optimized with something like Jcat or Pink Faun usb card, not best way to go.

Running over ethernet gives one many options like separate streamer/end point/usb renderer, also can do FMC (fiber media conversion) or any number of filters like Acoustic Network Eno.

Issue with Nucs is lack of two ethernet ports, but if one is using network switch of less consequence. Macmini requires mods with diy lps like Uptone Audio MMK and JS-2. Macmini can be modified for two ethernet ports, advantage is don't need network switch.

Server direct to dac is convenience method. Ethernet via switch or direct mode is for maximum sound quality.

I’m still undecided. Setup will be router, server, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, and Google MESH node connected to an Ethernet switch upstairs. The server and QX-5 will be connected directly to Ethernet, but the utraRendu with LPS 1.2 and Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC downstairs will be on the Google MESH network.

Which server, a Mac Mini M1 or NUC? I’ve watched Darko’s NUC preparation, and hardware looks easy, not so software. If somebody sold prepared NUCs, I’d try one. Currently running Roon on a 2011 Mini that’s downstairs on the Google network. Sounds good to me, but I’m willing change out the server when I move it upstairs. Maybe rewatch Darko.

db

I’m also wondering what next steps to take in my digital sourcing. I use Roon almost exclusively. It’s in a headless mini (couldn’t tell you the last time I connected to a monitor to do anything with it, it just runs and runs and runs). Right now, I’m using HDMI out of the mini into an Oppo 205 as the ‘endpoint’ (I think that’s the right term), and then into the processor. I like that setup for when I’m watching/playing a disc, which is rare, as it means the connections and inputs don’t change. I can use the Oppo as the DAC and listen via the balanced outputs, or use the processors DAC by using the HDMI output that’s always connected anyway. Both the mini and the Oppo have Ethernet connections to the router (internet comes into the house right next the equipment rack). While I tend to be a ‘buy once, cry once’ buyer, I’m more interested in incremental steps for this to see what difference each change will make, while maintaining the reliability and ease of use I have now. Therefore I’m reading this thread and others with great interest, while at the same time trying not to get lost in the technical aspect…I get lost there very easily.

thanks to all that have posted their preferences and experiences so far. 

I briefly used USB from a Mini to an Oppo 205 with balanced analog to a pair of Parasound JC 1 monoblocks. Then I switched to USB from the Mini to an Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC with balanced analog through an Ayre K-5xeMP preamp to the JC 1s. A big jump in sound quality came with replacing the Oppo with the Ayre DAC and preamp. I added an ultraRendu with LPS 1.2 that sends USB to the Ayre DAC on the hunch that Roon finds devices connected to the Ethernet more reliably. Roon always finds the ultraRendu, but often didn’t find the Ayre DAC.

db

nice post. marked.

thanks for all folks.

i am planning to buy d DIY Fanless mini PC with 

i7 8550

32GB ram

128GB storage 

to run roon core.