Rethinking my system: Your ideas are appreciated

Hi all,

I have a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110s and a Rythmik Audio F12SE sub driven by a Rotel RSX-1055. My room size is 27x24. I listen mostly to rock, blues, funk, guitar/vocal instrumental and classical. I also use the system for movies.

While I really like the Dyns, I'm looking for something a bit stronger in both fullness and presence. Something where the sound doesn't seem to be coming from 'over there,' but rather it envelopes you and makes you feel like you're at the event. Not so much 'louder' as 'bigger.' This could certainly be due to poor speaker placement / imaging on my part. Still, I can't help feeling like I wish the sound was fuller, and at the same time I would rather not rely on the sub as much in order to get that fullness.

Not sure if this means going to floorstanders or possibly upsizing my monitors. Or maybe it means rethinking the Rotel, or at least adding monoblocks. Budget for speakers is around $1500 or so.

I apologize if my audio vocabulary is lacking or if I'm not clearly expressing my thoughts. I realize that everyone's tastes are different and that I'm working with a small budget, but maybe I could get general ideas and suggestions from those of you who have 'been there/done that.'

Thanks!
alderash
You have a large size space and you're trying to fill it with a small stand mounted monitor. The tonal balance of the reflected sound, which is the majority of the sound in a large room, unless you sit very close to the speakers, is thinned out by the size of the room. In effect your room is working against your speakers. Obviously you need speakers that will work with this room. The problems is I'm not sure you can do it within your budget. The bigger Ohm Walsh speakers might fit your needs, but they are well north of $1,500. Vintage corner horns would also work, but again decent ones start around $2,000.

My suggestion is to not make any changes and live with what you have. Save up and come back to the question in a year or two. You'll have a better idea of what you need and a larger budget.
I used to have the Focus 220's and eventually sold them because the didn't really provide the umph and fullness I was looking for when listening to classical music. I upgraded to the Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system and have been satisfied with this for a few years now. I could easily see these as my last speaker.
Alderash:
I found myself in a similar situation a couple of years ago, after moving my system into a newly-expanded Great Room (30'x30'x12'). I made the correct decision for my situation by upsizing my speakers to Tyler Woodmeres. What I noticed was a much larger midrange and bass reinforcement that I think could only come from larger drivers in a larger cabinet. Now, the entire room is filled with music, and it overflows nicely into adjacent open spaces. Tyler still makes the Woodmeres, although they are not currently featured on his website. Good luck.
There is a pair of Hales revelation 3s for sale at Us audiomart which will leave you money left for the amp to drive them. Woes gone.
I found the focus 110's just too small sounding for my tastes. I bought the Focus 140's and that was much better. However,I think I need a little bigger dynaudio monitor or floor standers to get that more majestic sound. I think the contour 1.3 mk11's and the 1.3 SE sound bigger (and actually are a little bigger). I have a pair of 1.3 mk11's and they seem just big enough to throw a satisfactory large sound in a small to mid size room.