Speaker Placement Issue/Thoughts

I'm not sure if it's my hearing, my rooms (I've had the stereo in three different ones over the past few years), or a recording bias, but I consistently hear my image being biased slightly left of center.

I've had to resort to balance controls to fix this issue, but have also tried various speaker placement solutions (Thiel 1.6s and now 2.4s). When thinking about how to address the problem, I regularly get stuck in what feels like a logical paradox.

So, to shift the center image to the right, I can alternatively convince myself either that I should A) make the right speaker louder by moving it closer to me, or B) move the right speaker further away to shift the actual center of stereo speakers. Unfortunately every time I try to test this, so much ends up changing (the damn spikes are so hard to deal with) that I never figure out which is the appropriate solution.

Maybe I just need to pay a professional to come in and place everything for me...
128x128cal3713
It's unfortunate the room setup seems compromised from the get go. But dialing in your speakers is the absolute first step before you do anything else. Once that is done and if you are still hearing anomalies, then you can address them. Good luck! I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Peternayer, I disagree with your assessment of the yarn measurement approach. I find I can actually get a more accurate measurement that way then with tape measure, laser pointer, etc. Once you have established your center line, the yarn method works wonderfully. Also, once you have established the center line, per Jim Smith's method, the outer walls are irrelevant. All measurements are based on the center line, which makes his method particularly valid in odd-sized rooms or layouts.
No problem, Tholt. Just be careful not to stretch or let sag the yarm 1/16th of an inch or more. And how do you assure that the same spot on the yarn hits the exact spot on each speaker. I have tried using string that does not stretch except under extreme pressure and found that the laser is more accurate. I'm not saying that the yarn won't work for you or that the laser is the best method. It's just what I prefer.

I also don't understand how the yarn can confirm that the speakers are toed-in to the exact same angle. The laser makes this extremely easy, and exact toe in matters with my speakers.
Put on a test CD (ie. Stereophile) and hook a meter up to the speaker outputs while playing some sounds (ie. pink noise) and measure whether there is any major difference in output. If so, find out which electronics further back in the chain are defective. If not, switch your speakers around to see if the high output stays with the left speaker. If so, try switching your speaker cables too to rule them out.

Use masking tape on the floor to mark the speaker positions before moving them.

Also have your ears cleaned out by a doctor.

Don't worry. A lot of us, including myself, have had the same problem. I wonder if lefties have problems with the right channel being too strong?