your first system-

I put together my first system in 1977- turntable, receiver, speakers and a cassette deck- $600. An on-line inflation calculator tells me that is $2760 in 2022 dollars. I am sure a current $1500 streaming based system can be assembled that would demolish my 1977 system. That's what I call real progress!

128x128zavato

My first:

Pioneer PL 12D turntable

Fisher 500 receiver as preamp

McIntosh MC2100 amp

Klipschorn  speakers

Zipcord speaker cable

Gold-enz interconnects 

Bought my first HI-FI rig in 1969

Garrard 401 + SME Arm + Shure M75E

Leak Stereo  70

Goodman Magnum K's

About 280 Pounds as I re call

A Technics SA-500, JVC QL-A2 turntable with Audio Technica cartridge, and 3D Acoustics sub/sat which was one of the first affordable sub/sat systems and had a very good review in Stereo Review. Speakers were $400. Receiver was about $275. I don't remember what the turntable cost, but I think the cartridge was about $50. Later I upgraded it to a $250 Shure V-15 Type V, but soon thereafter replaced the turntable with an NAD.

I wouldn't think it would take more than a $400 pair of powered studio monitors and an $8 DAC hooked to my phone to blow it away now.

I remember selling Goodman speakers back in the early 70’s which had our store name on them as the brand.  I sold them with our low cost Sherwood receiver and Garrard turntable for $400.00.