your first system-

I put together my first system in 1977- turntable, receiver, speakers and a cassette deck- $600. An on-line inflation calculator tells me that is $2760 in 2022 dollars. I am sure a current $1500 streaming based system can be assembled that would demolish my 1977 system. That's what I call real progress!

128x128zavato

A light green General Electric 300 portable turntable with speakers. My parents bought it, so I had no choice. A piece of crap, for sure.

Technics belt drive, Rotel amp with LED meters, AIWA 3 head cassette, KEF Coda 3 speakers. Literally on a bookshelf. 1979 maybe. 

roxy54, I used the money to buy a 1969 Ford Thunderbird 2-door with a 429 engine with the insurance money. I have mixed feelings about not replacing my stereo, but I also don't regret buying the car as there are many, many good memories in it!

In the last couple of years, now that the kids are all grown up I have been replacing much of what I had with the same vintage gear! I also have got almost 300 vinyl LP's now, having replaced all my original collection and more. Really enjoying being able to listen to good sounding music again!

Well, my first audio device was a transistor radio purchased in 1960. I was 11 years old. My father co-signed for a loan at the JC Penneys store. 

Had to use my parents console stereo throughout Jr high and high school. 

First real system was purchased on Okinawa 1970, Pioneer 63DX speakers, Sansui AU555 Integrated, Dual 1219 TT with Shure V15 type II cartridge, Teac RtoR deck. Owned that system till 1982. Wasn't in possession of it over many of those years as I spent much time traveling trying to find myself. 

Late 80's.  Polk audio 5b speakers, Realistic tape deck and Kenwood receiver.  I quickly realized the speakers didn't sound as good as they did in the store, so I saved up and replaced the Kenwood with an NAD 3140 int. amp.   Now that's more like it and the journey continues to this day.