Honesty is the best policy...I think.

Heres a question for the Forum. I have my PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport for sale here. I purchased as a refurbished unit directly from PS Audio. In use, it will occasionally freeze up and by that I mean the remote or touchscreen will not function. And by occasionally I mean not more than once a month. The first time it happened to me I called PS Audio who told me to turn it off at the back, wait 10 seconds and turn back on to cause it to reboot which solved the problem. They told me it was normal like with any computer. I think it happens more often when I am playing discs I have burned at home of hi-res files. I have also done some research online and see that this is very common with this transport. So, now that I am selling the unit, I have mentioned that this is something that can happen. I don't want someone to purchase the unit, have it do this and then accuse me of not mentioning it. It has, of course, freaked out potential buyers. At the same time there are several other units just like it for sale with no mention of this and I know this to be a quirk of all of these units - not just mine. It works fine and I have enjoyed it for several years. I am selling only because I purchased a DMP that, what a surprise, occasionally does the same thing.  What would you do?

Ag insider logo xs@2xbigsecret

PS Audio is a great company. Why not send to them for a inspection/re-certification of the unit? Maybe a couple hundred dollars shipping and a factory refresh. It would make me feel better knowing PSA has addressed your concern and that you have given full disclosure of this issue. Thanks

I would tell the truth all right.

Want add:

For Sale

Bla, Bla Bla

Then explain: The PS is a wonderful unit that when maintained properly will offer the user a great product. As with all PS XXX. A simple reboot once a month keeps the unit refreshed and trouble free.

I hope you enjoy the product as I have.

This is honest and shows you are truthful and are selling a good, serviceable product. If anyone questions the practice, refer them to your information and where you got it. Note that several others like yourself looked for a solution and found one.

What you are doing is a very common practice with any processor, the issue I’ve found it’s not a single processor with an issue. It’s normally some sub processor not playing well with others. You need to flush and start over so to speak.. Buss issues are "timing and joining the different buss systems". Unless they are designed to reboot, or pass the work to a working back-up. They freeze up.

Side Note:

If it was a Cann Buss it would throw up a code and show which sub/processor/unit had a wiring issue, buffer boo boo or an actual processor problem. Can Buss uses, a null process to check the hot/cold wiring error (kinda like XLR), checks the data wires, checks the sensor circuits, checks sensors, checks the grounds. It’s not inexpensive but redundancy need to be built in. NASA, kind of thinking.

The fail safe with any computer is to cold boot. 5 minutes for every processor up to 15 minutes. Same with any computer, remove the power supply and backup power supply. Unplug and wait!!! Hundreds of times with equipment, trained VETS would not wait long enough.. 100s They always thought I was slow, I was patient. :-)

Skunk-Eating-Chicken-Egg

Skunk at the chicken coop, CRAP!!!

Regards

You say SKUNKS Dad? 

This dog will mess with a skunk big time.. Usually not get skunked.. Usually.. 

I have the same problem with a Pro-Ject turntable. Sumiko has no lemon policy.

If I upgrade, how should I discribe the TT? If honesty is the best policy.

For sale, for those who like to gamble!!! A Pro-Ject Classic SB in beautiful physicals shape. It has given me problems twice in the past, and more than likely will do the same again. 

In the year and a half that I have had this $1,200 machine it has been in for repair twice. So if you have a problem call Sumiko. They know the machine well. 

The first repair only took seven weeks, which gave me time to once again, bond with my CD's. 

1. truth

2. "I think it happens more often when I am playing discs I have burned at home of hi-res files". MORE OFTEN or ONLY home made? I would want that answer.

go for a few months without playing home made. what?

3. I would say something like: research and manufacturer advises these units benefit from a monthly reboot. It is more than likely any unit (new or used) will benefit from a monthly reboot.