your first system-

I put together my first system in 1977- turntable, receiver, speakers and a cassette deck- $600. An on-line inflation calculator tells me that is $2760 in 2022 dollars. I am sure a current $1500 streaming based system can be assembled that would demolish my 1977 system. That's what I call real progress!

128x128zavato

My first jump up to hi-fi in the early 70s was when I sold my Bose 901s and bought a stacked pair of Infinity 1001As with a Harman Kardon Citation amp, using my Pioneer receiver as the pre-amp. 4 twelve inch woofers really got my ELP albums thumping.

I can trace every piece of gear I own to my first cheap stereo system, I never started with a clean sheet, I always upgraded one thing at a time. I learned a lot doing that way over the decades. 

Probably 1967 or 68. Garrard 40B, Sansui 350 receiver (or is $350 what I paid for the set up?) and 12" Utah speakers.

A dear friend of mine got KLH speakers, a Scott receiver, and the original AR turntable.

Mine played louder and deeper, but his made music.

About 1961. All in one record player, preamp,amp and speaker. I was about 9-10.

Fiesta75 - that sounds remarkably like my first real system circa 1976, Sherwood receiver (second hand from a college buddy), BIC turntable with Empire cartridge (Christmas gift from my parents), and large Advent speakers (bought with my first real paycheck). The speakers stayed around the longest. I sold them when I got a pair of Magneplanars in 1987. Music was Allman Brothers, Jackson Browne, Neil Young, etc.