Parasound vs Emotiva

I'm currently running an Emotiva A300 into my near field desktop system consisting of an isolation transformer feeding a Gustard X26 Pro dac into a topping Pre 90 preamplifier into the bas X a300 into a pair of Emotiva T zero. The amp is high passed at 80 hz via my pair of Emotiva S8 subwoofers. The source is Playstation 5.

The system sounds incredible. Textured, resolute, musical, clear as a bell, tight as a drum, yet warm, it's very very nice I assure you! Dimensional, Soundstage, often times quite holographic.

My only gripe is the a300 doesn't command the low end or provide a lot of bass punch like my NC400 Ncores did. (Those amps were also flat out incredible but I dont have anymorr).

I have a Parasound A23+ on the way. It is 4 times the price of the Emotiva. Both class AB, both around the same weight, both around the same power rating.

I'm a little nervous because I am listening to my system right now and it just sounds so good. I'm expecting a stronger low end with the Parasound, but not sure what else to expect.

Guess we will find out in a few days!

borat-sagdiyev

Parasound is like a Rolls Royce compared to Emotiva. I had an Emotiva DAC once, the blue LED’s could blind you and the sound brightness reminded me of those cheap $25.00 amps you could buy to boost the car radio way back in the early 70’s.

I really enjoy Parasound amps, and I feel the A23+ will give you what you’re looking for, but more so improve sound detail and depth compared to what you have presently.

I just recently went from dual Cambridge Audio Azur 851w (XD power amps) in bi-amp dual mono, to dual Parasound JC5’s in the same set up (bi-amp dual mono). Bass definitely jumped up a lot, and had to dial down my sub’s. I really love the texturing, detail and separation Parasound amps provide. Not that the 851w were lacking, they’re great and I can’t part with them and they’ll be powering my secondary system. But on a side note, one of the biggest difference I’ve experienced with my sub’s is using high level connections off my amps to my speakers (with the 851w’s). I really heard a bass jump with that and had to drastically change up how I dialed in my KEF sub’s.

If you’re looking to save money, try that and compare it to how you had your previous set up from your amp to your sub’s (if you haven’t already). I think you’ll be surprised, but you might still not like it as much as what the A23+ has to offer. But when it comes to sound improvement of a system I have learned quite early that minor jumps in performance often command large jumps in cost, often 3:1 or 4:1 in price point comparisons. If you find something you enjoy under that, then you’re really in luck. So try different connection to your sub’s and see if the extra expense is worth it to you. Also you can find the 851w second hand for about the same price or less as the A23+, and would probably say it would give you more for the money. I’d probably give the edge to the 851w over the A23+, it really is a great power amp and XD amps do have a good deal to offer.

I’m not a very experienced HiFi reviewer, but I’ve tried out about 8 amps so far and actually am awaiting the JC1+’s which I have coming next week. Gonna see what kinda jump in performance I’ll see from them compared to the JC5’s I’m trailing now. Since the pandemic instead of traveling I'm now into HiFi 😂, probably the more expensive hobby.

Also great choice on the X26 Pro, I loved that DAC. Almost wish I didn’t sell it but I want to try a R2R DAC for my second system. I went with the Musetec MH-DA005 as my primary DAC, and just smile when I listen to it.

Hope this all helped.

Happy listening 👍

Let's not bash on Emotiva, they are excellent for the money. And some of these items they have are clearly loss leaders. I would pay a grand for the t zero speakers I have and not even blink. They were 399. I still can't believe I paid 399 for them, the value is off the charts.

You get what you pay for in general though and there is better, hence the upgrades, but if I was stuck with an Emo system for life I'd still be miles ahead of the general public. Miles and miles.

Not sure how to reply to individual posts, forum is a bit of a mystery still, but thank you Ja kb z!

I think if I like the a23+ in near field then a JC 5 will be in my future for main duties.

Sounds like you have a nice system there, wow!

Any further anecdotes on the Parasounds?

I too was going to get an R2R, the Venus, but I decided what I really wanted was a Terminator+ and that is simply not in the cards, so I instead decided to go with the most advanced "conventional" dac i could afford at the moment.

That Dac has a beautiful sound! I think its doing most of the work right now. Can’t wait to hear it in balanced mode with xlrs ;)

I just now swapped one of the new pairs of xlrs between the dac and preamp and got rid of the rca. Punchiness has come up some! I think the poor Emo would benefit by being balanced. Can’t wait to go all the way xlr from preamp to Parasound in a few days!

Also, the subs are really quite good, as a $400 8 inch should be, but they will eventually transform into REL T7X :)