Wadax Reference Dac and Reference Server--arrived in my room.

i debated with myself whether Audiogon was an appropriate forum to talk about these products. a certain number of Audiogon members might like to hear about them, some others might like to take some target practice that such products exist. others just like to make jokes or spout nonsense. such is the way of the ’Gon. to each their own.

http://www.wadax.eu/reference/

both the Wadax Reference Dac and Wadax Reference server arrived last week, and over the weekend i had 8 visitors through my room hearing these new products compared directly with my outgoing MSB Select 2 dac, and my resident server, the Taiko Extreme.

here is a thread with pictures of the Wadax Ref dac and Ref server in my room. scroll down for more pictures.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/wadax-reference-dac-and-server-arrive.34173/#post-771357

as a result of my listening this weekend, i have purchased the Wadax Reference dac, and am in the process of comparing the Wadax Reference server to my Taiko Extreme server to determine which one will remain. the MSB Select 2 is outbound on it’s way to a new owner.

the Wadax combo is the best sounding digital music reproduction i have heard, and not by a little bit. they cross thresholds of sounding analog and like good vinyl in ways i’ve never heard before. i am stunned at how digital in my room sounds, how great redbook files i’ve heard for 30 years have now come alive.

happy to answer any questions, or maybe observe a little chaos. let the fun begin.

mikelavigne

@sns 

"Perfect sound forever used to be a joke, maybe not so much a joke anymore." Fully agreed.

@mikelavigne 

Mike, thanks for starting this thread. My system is only digital and it gets better, most times, after an upgrade. I'm enjoying the process and glad to learn and share in others experiences as we all bounce along the path to better sound. Hopefully all participants in this thread will participate with this frame of thought in mind.

Mike, do you still play cds over transport, and if so how does it compare to streams in your setup?

@sns 

i don't have a disc spinner in my room presently, i have used the Taiko Extreme server these last few years, and do quite a bit high rez files and Quboz. i have over 3000 CD's and 1000 SACD's in my room. but files and streaming only right now.

i might, at some point, try a Wadax transport to see how that compares.

in any case, redbook files with the Wadax Ref dac and server are amazing. the better ones sound like vinyl. not exactly, but you would not know they are not vinyl without a direct compare.

@pokey77 

thank you.

it removes the limits on what is possible to do.

This is so true. I worked in a record store after graduating high school to pay for my college. I became spoiled in getting to listen to new music all the time. That died off after record stores vanished. Streaming has brought that fun back. I’m finding new music all the time now. It’s wonderful. I actually buy more now because I love vinyl and will buy them for new music I stumble across.

The biggest plus of streaming for me is being able to access my music at Qobuz and Tidal all over the world. I travel for my job and accessible music keeps me sane.

Congratulations on your new gear. If anyone complains, pay no heed. The fact that you are able to dabble in the high end for the best possible sound sounds more like a calling than something to be called out for. 

The last I heard, the Taiko Extreme was the finest streamer Srajan (of 6moons) had ever heard and it finally bested his computer set up. It will be interesting to hear what you think of the Wadax and what it can do.

All the best,
Nonoise

Wading in the rarefied air of the extreme high-end.

Why not? Somebody has to do it.