I'm confused - Different music...different speakers?

Thanks for allowing me this exploration. I've been on Audiogon before and find myself here for a very different reason this time.
I do believe my system is well resolving and will define gear at the end
Yet I keep getting steered to music genre based on sound.
What I mean by this is simple.
I can't seem to listen to old rock n roll favorites anymore.
There are albums I know from the past inside out and upside down - one example: The Allman Brother's at Fillmore East. I can mostly play every bit of this on guitar. I own three good copies on vinyl and can stream it at hi-res on Qobuz.
There are two drummers and Berry Oakley on bass- no slouch. Duane on slide...etc. An Epic and dynamic album
I can't listen to it - the metal tweeters are just aggravating. And what I remember from the bass and percussion is slam from the very opening to the end - it's not here.
What is going on here?
Gear is as follows:
Analogue side is a Nottingham Space 294, 12" Ace arm, Lyra Delos Cart and an EAR 834 MM/MC phono stage
Digital is an Antelope Zodiac plus with Voltikus power supply
All good and better cables
Totem Hawk floor standers
Amp is a Rogue Cronus w/ KT120 output tubes
Play Bill Evans or Bach ....and I can watch the paint melt off the walls and love every second of it......
I'm at a loss and thanks

smaarch1

As a prior owner of Totems with that exact same tweeter for many years, and going through a few different higher current amplifiers, and cables, I had to kinda beat them into submission to get them to sound reasonable to my ears across different types and generations of music and recordings of varying quality. These speakers caused me to move to monoblock tube amplifiers, and ultimately to different and more sensitive custom built speakers with different type tweeters and crossovers..

@smaarch1 fwiw, if you must keep the Totem Hawks, there are a few different things you might try to help curve the alloy dome tweeter "aggravation" some, if you have not already attempted these band-aids. 1. try changing the front center 12AU7 preamp tube in the Rogue to a softer tube to take a little edge off. 2. good quality copper multi-strand speaker cables can help a little; tried several types with my former Totems with varying results. 3. Research and check capacitance pf/ft of your existing interconnect cables between the source and preamplifier. Ask Rogue what the acceptable limits are pf/ft, it matters with some tube amps too. Sometimes other/softer sounding copper interconnects can help a little. Your results may vary. Best of luck.

How upgrades / your components effects different genre of music has interested me for a few decades. I used to have three or four disks I would take to auditioning sessions, influencing my purchasing. I noticed over time that while that music was sounding better, other genera at home would not sound as good. At the time I was really into electronic. The lightbulb went on… this is not a good ruler, electronic is fabricated and I am making it sound good to,me, not necessarily what the author intended. I listen to all music types, not just electronic..

Over time I realized the only music I could really use as a standard was acoustical. That I would have to hear it live and take recordings in to audition equipment that were the same. Quite abruptly the direction of my system changed… away from planar speakers and massive amps to tubes and dynamic speakers. All genre of music improved with each purchase. Season tickets to the symphony really sealed the deal and over a few years I had the best sounding system.

Now, that is not the only way to go. If you primarily like rock, then there is a know collection of stuff to optimize it. McIntosh electronics and B&W speakers sound exceptional with rock. But not as much with some other genre. JBL another speaker well suited for rock.

So the choice is yours. It is a lot of work to correctly improve the sound of all genre. But if that is your goal then tune your ears to acoustic music and evaluate systems based on it. Then you will most likely to be heading in the right direction.

Thanks every one. A lot here to think about. I should say I listen to a lot less rock - preference is really jazz and classical. I'm also not looking for outright volume.

I did roll out the 12Au7 preamp tube several times over the last year. Starting with the original JJ (very decent) to a reissued mullard that was frankly not listenable, to a tungsol (which I like) to a NOS raytheon (a definite improvement). - I'll research this a bit more as my choices were simply stabs in the dark

In general, I like the Totem's. They do a lot right for my level of listening - which is in a condo with limited opportunity for LOUD.
That said - maybe a sub is the way to go?- Something I had been trying to avoid.
I also should take some time to audition other speakers as my knowledge is limited.
Thanks Everyone

@smaarch1 Your ears can act as a tone control to a certain degree. If the bass is missing the ear will tilt things towards the treble. So if you add a sub (and have it placed properly so its audible at the listening position) you'll find the highs to be a bit calmer.

To get the sub to blend properly the trick is it should not have any output above 80Hz or it will attract attention to itself. In most rooms below that frequency the bass is entirely reverberant owing the wavelength being so long- at 80Hz its already 14 feet long, so within a couple of iterations its bouncing off every wall in the room. The lower the frequency the longer the waveform.

Yeah love those Totems but they are undersized to deliver everything with any kind of music. Think bigger! Klipsch Heritage line would be a good place to start with a good quality tube amp like yours.

OR adding a powered sub or two and integrated well is also a good option as suggested.