Transmission line speakers!

Hi group,

I just pulled the trigger on a mint pair of Falcon speakers. They are a transmission line design. I don’t see many speakers using transmission line. Does anyone here have any experience pro or con with this type of design? BTW, I have always liked sealed type speakers over ported speakers!

Thanks much!

128x128yogiboy

I own T+A Criterion 2100 TL speakers

Now those are true TL speakers.

In the late 70's I owned Infinity Monitor Jr.'s; they had varying densities of cotton batting inside the cabinet and Infinity called them a TL design.  I always felt they were stretching the TL definition and that they were actually just another vented cabinet design.  IMF's were the TL standard back then.  

mrmichaelp

Those are beautiful speakers... impressive

I had  pair of Spendor D7 which uses a quasi-transmission line bottom firing port.  The bass and sub-bass was so deep and effortless, a speaker with very special bass.  It improves the efficiency of bass response and makes them easier to position. 

My issue with the Spendors is that they were voiced nearly flat without the usual midbass bump.  Otherwise they would have been perfect. 

T-line designs have the potential to be outstanding.  Application is unfortunately not consistent. 

bkeske,

I'm not sure of how a transmission line port differs from any other port, but that is only part of what a transmission line is. It should include a long folded labyrinth from that rear of the bass driver to the port. I would like to hear from others more knowledgeable than myself here as to whether they consider this a transmission line.

I think PWK’s folded horn was an extension of the principal.

I think it is the opposite, the transmission line is using a quasi folded horn principal with a port. Whereas a true folded horn will exit the air in the woofer chamber out the mouth of the horn (no port). I could be wrong...

Mike

...I used to have a pair of those WTLC's...long ago, far away...

Ask me about the time we hooked up four Infinity Column IIs, and connected to a Phase Linear 700, in Pacific Stereo's big room. Even with the doors closed and way in the back of the store. They asked us to turn it down because they couldn't hear customers at the front of the store. I bought a quad for myself.