DAC Question: Delta-Sigma vs R2R

I have a general question, I am looking to buy my first standalone DAC, right now I have an Azur 851N, which is a streamer/DAC. As I look I continue to see discussions on Delta-Sigma vs R2R DACs.

I am in no way an audio expert nor do I have a good understanding of electronics.

In Laymen terms, Could anybody explain what is the difference between the 2 technologies?

mod_asored

Added the Benchmark DAC 3B to my system, (solely listen to R&R fairly loudly) Tekton DI's  Just over 13k system, what a difference, NOT MARGINAL!!!!  Rory,  at Benchmark will spend all the time you need, questions,  etc.  30 day trial period, 5 year warranty, based in upstate NY  I also added their LA-4 Line amp, all balanced, to be truly transparent. VERY impressed. Robert TN

I have been researching the last few years, and auditioning many brands.

I believe in dual or multiple channel dac’s, and after that, it is a particular OEM’s ’mixed salad’ you are listening to rather than just the DAC’s technology, i.e. upscale, over-clock, anti-jitter, sound shaping, optional filters ....

Have return option, keep going until you land on one you prefer. I think 'prefer' to 'better'. Try to keep 'prefer' in mind when reading reviews.

These involve SACD/CD players with Internal DAC’s, but many streaming and separate DAC’s comments are included

specific for Sony SCD-XA5400ES

prior ’Better CD’

I’m just a caveman lawyer, but…technological obsolescence keeps me very cautious on anything digital that is expensive…My thesis is that a simple $300 DAC released last month is probably better than a five-year old $3,000 DAC. So, I buy simple, well-reviewed DACs at modest prices, and change them up every few years, and really don’t worry about it much.  Now using the iFi Zen Signature v2, and it’s enjoyable day-to-day (I have music on 12 hours a day, low volume, but always there).  I appreciate that I am missing out on the quality I could obtain with say a Benchmark DAC3 (and I will buy one used if I can catch it for the right price).  DEQX was apparently transformational to listeners when released (I’ve not heard it), and cost $5,000, but I can’t imagine they survive unless they just sell a $500 downloadable software package at this point

I have a nice vinyl setup on my rig.  I use it to listen to a selection of maybe 90 albums that make sense to me to own on vinyl (love the music, sound quality, understanding the origin of the pressing, and the music is of a scale that it could have been played in my living room. Neil Young at the Cellar Door vs. Zeppelin). I use a DAC and Roon for 90% of my listening

I’m looking forward to the abusive replies, but maybe this point of view is a useful way to think about where to spend money on a system when maybe 10% of our time is really listening, and most of the rest is day-to-day pleasure

Fun topic!

I have tinnitus and some things just dont sound good-John Prine unfortunately can sound bad on vinyl for example.

I bought an MHDT Stockholm DAC  tube, RtR, NOS and the sound was much more euphoniic and pleasing compared to the sound out of my Emotiva CDP, doesnt sound fatiguing  or set off my tinnitus.

ymmv

@jonwatches1 - No abuse here! 😁 But just wondering why you would think a new cheap $300 DAC would be better than a Chord Hugo, for example, which is 5 years old or so? Enjoy yer tunes!