Chi-Fi in the Time of Self-Righteous Indignation.

I have to say the timing of the folks over at eacoustics in impeccable.

So Kevin Deal at Upscale release his Video on Raven Audio giving us something to chew on in this forum and W. Jennings gives us this.

128x128jerryg123

@femoore12 Agreed and the fact is companies/people build products not countries.

China is a communist country where "the people" (government) seized control of the mode of production. In today's China only about 30% of industry is owned by the government.  This includes the Melody/Spark plant where gear like Cayin is made. As it is owned by the Chinese government, I feel that in this case we can say the country/government of China is the manufacturer, not "people" or "companies".  It is no secret that slave/child/forced labor is rife in China today along with a vast system of oppression for millions of people.  Buying from Chinese government owned companies directly supports this oppression.

Just recently the US Congress passed the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act by with only a few votes (!) in opposition.  It is clear that both Republicans and Democrats are united in acting against the increasing use of slave labor in China.  It is likely that as more information is available, more sanctions will be enacted, possibly including against Chinese government owned electronic firms such as those within the CATIC group that manufactures items for Prima Luna along with many other companies that have not been so forthright about their sources.

Will be interesting to watch how this will play out.  So far as I know, this is never discussed in the audio press.

rich american audiophile 1: "chi fi"  is offensive. stop saying it. fascist

rich american audiophile 2: but it's not offensive. and it's my right to. libtard

audio manufacturer in mainland china: while you guys were fighting your culture war i just sold half a million class d desktop amplifiers to your neighbors for $100 apiece. i'm glad you're having fun though 

audio manufacturer in mainland china: while you guys were fighting your culture war i just sold half a million class d desktop amplifiers to your neighbors for $100 apiece. i'm glad you're having fun though

+1 😂

Most all Chi-Fi equipment are copies of the best gear, in years past, from Western Countries…. You know, the countries China despises?

Current Chinese offerings are EXACTLY like Chinese military equipment: STOLEN TECHNOLOGY. 

And, once you manufacture in China, you never get it back.

W Jennings provides a topical example of something that is prevalent in many aspects of decision making - summed up succinctly in what is broadly known as signalling theory.

All life forms rely on fairly rudimentary signals to make surprisingly important decisions. Labels (such as Chi-fi) are just one form of signal.

A signal often goes to the reputation as to quality (however defined - broadly!), as Jennings talks about.. Signals can be reliable or unreliable, as with any rules of thumb, so it is wise to often do a bit of research once the threshold signals are satisfied. In relationships, this may be known as courting.

For those who are interested in signalling theory, Wiki provides a good read.

I have no wish to comment here on the many ethical and moral issues people may associate with China on whatever basis they choose to do so.