Who uses ADS Speakers

I worked at ADS in The late 70s and Find they are one of the best home speakers ever.

I always loved their accuracy.

128x128bstbomber

This is my first post here. I had L710 speakers for 35 years and when downsizing in a fit of feeling overwhelmed by the move, I gave them away. A couple years later full of regret, I bought L780s. I like them. They have the ADS sound but they are not as full sounding as I remember the L710s. I’ll keep them for now. They’re still ADS.

I bought a pair of the 810 series 2 in the 80s… loved them.  So did my brother. Then after many years I moved on but gave him mine. He still has both pairs… 25+ yeard old, working perfectly and the tweeters are still sticky. 

Great speakers!

I bought my first pair of ADS 910 speakers in 1978.  I still have them, although they need to be restored.    I still own pairs of 1590/2's, a pair of 1290's, and a pair of 810's.  The latter three pairs still sound great.    

In my opinion, the classic "fried-egg" mid-range driver used in those ADS speakers is still one of the best mid-range drivers ever designed.  

There is a guy Richard So on the ADS FB group that specializes in parts, rebuilds, etc FYI. 

Almost forgot my 780 Mk2 are on loan to a buddy down the street…Still rocking in the free world…

Jim

Still have two sets of CM5’s in two bedrooms. My son has inherited my CM6’s which I had stand mounted and supplemented by an M&K sub. Replaced those with Aerial Acoustics 8b towers. Aerial was founded by Michael Kelly, formerly of ADS, who still operates Aerial.

Fun aside - had dealer who sold me the Aerial 8b’s come to the house and try to sell me a McIntosh bookshelf to replace the ADS CM5’s. His speakers were at least three times the size of the ADS. He walked out shaking his head. Couldn’t believe the little CM 5’s had deeper, tighter, bass and we’re clearer across the spectrum compared to the larger McIntosh speakers. I wasn’t surprised. It’s why I still have them.

Only very small speakers I’ve heard that were somewhat comparable to the CM5’s were the ATC SCM 7’s. The ATC’s mid and high frequency response was better - clearer and more extended highs. But they do not deliver the low end of the CM5’s.