Who uses ADS Speakers

I worked at ADS in The late 70s and Find they are one of the best home speakers ever.

I always loved their accuracy.

128x128bstbomber

I believe @rauliruegas does or at least did for many years in a spectacular system. Cheers,

Spencer

Yes, I got a pair of L710's about 1980. I always enjoyed them. I recently had the tweeters replaced and gifted the pair to my daughter and son-in-law for Christmas.

Dear @bstbomber : Thank’s @sbank . Yes, I’m a proud owner of a pair of L-2030 ADS Monitors.

ADS made extraordinary loudspeakers and in the L-2030 was ADS directly whom build the speaker drivers that are just unique and as you said accurated not analitycal but with high accuracy that’s need it in the professional recording studios.

In those old times Telarc LP manufacturer used an ADS special speakers monitor custom made for the Telarc needs and these ADS monitors were runned by Threshold electronics and Audio Technica cables and was from those monitors where came out my L-2030 designed by M.Kelly who left ADS yeras latter to start designing and manufacturing speakers by his own: Aerial Acoustics, very good quality performers indeed.

So, several of the Telarc LPs were monitored with the L-2030.

I still own it and through the years I made several modifications to compete today and not bettered by names as Magico, Wilson, YG or Soundlabs: you name it and my L-2030 just does not give up. This is the reason why I don’t own any other speakers today. Every time that I change audio electronics, cables, cartridges, tonearms, CDs, etc. etc the speakers always tells me the quality differences.

Telarc needs were for speakers that truly goes deep in the bass range and when they used the L-2030s ADS had to design a dedicated crossover to bi-amp the L-2030, the crossover was the C-2000 that I dont use any more.

Here the today status ( its modifications. ) of my ADS:

" This is a Full Range Professional Monitor that I own for many years.

These L 2030 was designed by Mike Kelly ( Aerial speakers ) and till today it match all my priorities.

It is " heavy " tweaked to do that: first it has " three hands " ( internally ) of a insulation/antivibrational treatment ( like a white paint. I can’t remember the ingredients. ) from Acoustical Magic Company ( it works marvelous ) inside all the box ( a big one box: 58-5/8" ( H ) x 27-1/4" (W) x 13-1/8" (D) ).

It is internally hard wired with Silver Oval by Analysis Plus cable and KCAG by Kimber Kable.

I take out the crossover ( now is external ) and change all the parts: resistors ( Powertron by Vishay. ), all silver air core solid ribbon ( 5.5 cms. of pure silver. Almost 2kg. of silver in the bigest one. ) Alpha-Core inductors , WIMA FKP 1 and KEMET caps in the crossover ( before these caps I used: Duelund, Jantzen, V-caps, Mundorf and the like. All those " boutique " expensive caps are truly a trash. ), the speakers cables goes soldered directly to the crossover parts. This speaker crossover is tri-hard-wired from the amps output to the 3-way crossover parts and speaker drivers.

In reality are three separate/stand alone crossovers: one for the tweeter, one for the midrange and the other for the woofer, all these hard-wired directly to the amps ( no connectors. )

I’m only not biamp my system ( with the subs. ) but these ADS main/satellite speakers are true tri-wired in hard-wire directly from the amps to each crossover parts in the three way speaker design all the way down to the amplifier output.

I change the internal damping glass fiber by 10kg ( each one ) of long hair 100% virgin wool and change the fabric cloth of the grille for a " transparent one ".

Both speakers have at the rear-center the Antiresonant Vibration System by MICROSCAN model TM-8 that works from 20hz to 1.5Khz.

These L 2030 have: One acoustic suspension 1" silk dome tweeter, one main acoustic suspension 2" silk dome midrange, three auxiliar acoustic suspension 2" silk dome midranges ( similar to the main midrange but with a less powerful magnet. ) and two long-excursion acoustic suspension ( sealed. ) paper 14" woofers.

These are exceptional drivers especially the tweeter/main midrange ones.

These L2030 midrange design permit to " run " the speakers on " point source " mode ( tweeter and main midrange ) or through a " weighted " line source mode ( tweeter plus the 4 midranges. ), in this last " fashion " is how I have it ( hard-wired too. )

These are some manufacturer specs:

- Frecuency response: 22-20K +.- 3 db ; 18-28K +.- 5db.

-Efficiency: 95 db SPL.

- Power rating: 300 watts nominal; 1,200 peak.

Weight: 95kg.

These L 2030 are the " speaker satelite " in my subwoofer/speaker satelite configuration and works from around 80Hz and up. Main reason to take this " road " was and is to lower the room system IMD and THD.

In the past I try many configurations: single amp, bi-amp, tri-amp, with sub, with out sub, only SS amps, SS and Tube amps, with passive crossover, with electronic crossover, hybrid crossovers, etc...

Finally I’m here.

Back external tweeters:

These ones was a spare tweeters from a Dalquihst DQM-9 that I owned and already sold.

These tweeters are 1" silk dome ( same efficiency that the front ones ) and are connected in phase with the front ones and works with his own crossover at around 5k and up and have, too, an off/on switch. " "

I was in touch twice with M.Kelly looking for his advise. Good that you were a proudly ADS worker where with out nothing of today technology, parts, materials, etc, etc, ADS still today is a challenger for the best today speakers through the ones I own.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

I had a pair of L810 back in the early 80’s.  I liked the sound but they were quite inefficient and didn’t sound good at low volumes so I sold them.  I did have all ADS speakers in my car audio system back then with 3 huge Soundstream amps.  Unfortunately, the car was stolen Dec25, 1991 and was totally stripped.  There was nothing left but the car body minus the interior and tires sitting on milk crates near some housing project.  That was the end of my car audio days and ADS. Also, I only had liability on the 7 year old Nissan so I lost my shirt. 

Like Imaninatural above, I bought ADS L710s in 1980. I had saved enough money from my first decently-paying job to replace a KLH model 5 (the portable one) that had been stolen from me three years before. Kept them more than 30 years before trading them in at Echo Audio here in Portland for a pair of used Harbeth M30s. Thanks for the post.