Aqua 'La Diva' ($9k) or Gryphon 'Ethos' ($39k) versus. Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 T ($3k)?

What sensible rationale is there for buying either of the two above-mentioned VERY COSTLY CD spinners (Aqua ’La Diva,’ a CD-only transport, and the Gryphon ’Ethos,’ a CD player with built-in DAC) when we can get the same pure Red-Book CD digital output from the Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 T for FAR less money?

What is a potential buyer getting for their significantly increased expenditure other than fancy packaging and possibly a boost to their egos from ownership of a prestige brand-name item? The one component (and a crucially-significant one at that) which all three of these products have in common is the new Philips-based Stream Unlimited CD Pro 8 CD player mechanism. Aside than that, what one appears to get with the two far-higher-priced components is little more than pure window-dressing, not substantive gains in performance over the CD Box RS2 T.

It is little wonder that one reviewer of the RS2 T thinks of it as nothing less than a "giant killer," in that it makes it nearly impossible for any level-headed purchaser, even one with the means to spend lavishly, to rationalize spending thousands of dollars more on these two competing products (or on others like them) when one can get the same sonic results (which from most reports are splendid) from the humble little CD Box.

Any thoughts? Do we audiophiles finally have good reason to come to our buying senses? To me, Pro-Ject Audio Systems may have struck a true winning vein with their CD Box when prospecting for gold.

128x128erictal4075

Have you, and if so, how have you determined that the sonic results are "the same"?

when one can get the same sonic results

Probably more like splitting hairs. There are so many variables in each person's set up that most perceived differences could be caused by room acoustics, power delivery etc,....and each person's own hearing variability that changes on a daily basis. If you find a component that sounds great, reaching for that next 2-5% can be extremely expensive. My advise is to just consume more music!!!🎼🎵🎶

Both of you ask very good questions.

Answering yours first, jperry, I have the Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 T feeding via AES/EBU a Holo Audio 'MAY' KTE version DAC, connected to a Holo Audio 'Serene' KTE version preamp driving a pair of ATC self-powered 3-way studio monitor loudspeakers. I listen as well using an ifi iCAN headphone amp, fed from the MAY DAC, powering Meze Audio's Empyrean ELITE headphones, so I'm able to hear very well what this little CD transport can do. I have not heard either one of the two far-more-expensive alternatives, and I am curious as to why they are so much higher-priced than the CD Box.

In response to your equally good question, thyname, I am making a statement about how absurd I find the differential in price among these three CD players to be while at the same time asking if anyone else on this forum has any deeper knowledge of or experience with either of the two higher-priced components, who could shed light on their performance and possible reasons why they might recommend one or the other over the Pro-Ject despite their far higher cost.