Need help choosing a new DAC

With so many options for DACs these days, I'm having a hard time deciding on a new DAC.  Currently considering a MHDT Orchid or Pagoda, Denafrips Pontus II, Benchmark DAC3,  Schitt Yggdrasil, or Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE.  I don't need any options such as volume control, BT, or MQA.  I also prefer musicality over measurements.  I'm currently using a SMSL SU-9, which will be moved over to my office system.  I'm tired of moving it back and forth between systems. My bank account prefers the cost of the Orchid since the other options cost up to twice as much, but I can go as high as $2500.  I mostly steam Qobuz thru a Raspberry Pi 4, but also use a Cambridge Audio CXC v2 CD transport on occasion.  My preamp is a Don Sachs DS2 tube preamp going into a D-Sonic m3a-1200s amp feeding "Gunned" MMGs.  I mostly listen to the Grateful Dead, rock, jazz, and acoustic music. Which DAC should I get and are the any others I should look at? 

terrapin77

If you already have tubes in your audio chain, it might be overkill to go for a tube-based DAC like Audio Mirror or MHDT. I owned an Audio Mirror Tubadour III (non-SE version), and it was a great dac when paired with SS equipment. When I moved to a tube integrated amp, it become too much of a good thing. I felt that it was homogenizing things too much for my liking.

By the way, I'm surprised to see Benchmark DAC3 on your list. It is great DAC no doubt, with a lot of fans. But sonically it is quite different from almost every other DAC on your list. If you're after utmost neutrality then go for it. 

My vote is either Denafrips Pontus II or Yggdrasil. Both are highly regarded and provide great bang for the buck. They also keep their value better than many other DACs. I also agree with @fuzztone about DSD playback. Listening to DSD in either 128 or 256 format is quite an experience. For this reason alone, I would pick Pontus II as my first choice.

@arafiq is there a good site on the internet for DSD?  I haven't seen any DSD files on Qobuz, but TBH, I haven't looked for them either. 

Hello, terrapin77.

I'd like to chime in with my thoughts. I think your list of candidates is a pretty decent selection of DACs to choose from. Based on what I've either read or actually heard in the past couple years, you'd likely be happy with any of them. Of course, some will make you happier than others, but the only way to know for sure is to try them. Like you, I own a Don Sachs Model 2 preamp. My main amplifier is Don's Kootenay 120 KT88 amp while my backup amp is an IceEdge 1200as2 Class D amp (more or less similar to your amp).

Here are a couple points to consider as you research and audition different DACs:

Even though streaming is very convenient and offers a kazillion titles to listen to, you will not get the same sound quality as you will get from a dedicated CDT. It took me a while to realize this because I didn't have a CDT until this year, so I didn't make comparisons on my system till this year. Depending on the recording and the CDT, the differences can be profound.

There are two (at least) camps on formats. One camp declares DSD king while the other camp declares NOS king. Your listening preferences and ears will eventually inform you which camp you prefer to join. [Potentially boring personal story coming. 😀]  A few years back, I got caught up in the DSD excitement ("the wave of the future!") despite my having very few DSD songs to play. I purchased a Gustard ESS9018-based DSD capable DAC more for its reputed DSD capability than for its good sound. Eventually, my enthusiasm wore off and I recognized the DAC needed to find a new owner. That was when I 'discovered' the existence of NOS DACs. I purchased a used dB Audiolabs Tranquility SE DAC with upgraded Jupiter Cu caps. The caps needed 100+ hours to burn in, but even so, I heard MUSIC coming out of my speakers. That DAC got me hooked hard on the NOS sound. I no longer had to worry about acquiring DSD tracks, and could content myself with Redbook CD quality and/or hi-res up to 96Hz.

Once I knew I wanted NOS DACs, I was better able to focus on DACs that would please my ears. I believe you're heading in the direction of choosing NOS over DSD or MQA, yes?

From your list - " Currently considering a MHDT Orchid or Pagoda, Denafrips Pontus II, Benchmark DAC3,  Schitt Yggdrasil, or Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE.  I don't need any options such as volume control, BT, or MQA.  I also prefer musicality over measurements. " If I were in your shoes , I'd try to audition the MHDT Orchid, Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE, and the Benchmark DAC3." I base this suggestion on my own research over the past year or two. The other DACs may well sound wonderful, but these three would be my first choices to audition. I very nearly bought an Orchid last year, but instead chose to upgrade my SW1X DAC. [My SW1X DAC is above your budget, so I am not recommending it to you.]

With a good quality, well designed NOS DAC, your PCM files/Redbook CD music will sound wonderful. Streamed music will sound VERY good as well, but not as good as music from a CDT.

Does this help? 

Do try to audition DACs and accept that you may need to spend a couple hundred dollars on restocking fees while you search for the DAC that makes you happy. Enjoy the journey!

@mresseguie Thanks for the reply!  I definitely don't need MQA or DSD.  I went on a few sites to see what was available in DSD and nothing I listen to is in that format.  I'm leaning towards auditioning the Orchid since it costs less than the others. The money I save would be put towards finishing treating my room.  I currently only have some corner bass traps from GIK.